Programming 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Key

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
electricd7 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I have changed my mind and decided to go with the 556UW instead of the 556CW i first bought.  After talking with many, it seems the 556UW is just a more reliable solution.  So that being said, I needed to get another key programmed for my van to make it work.  I bought a blank from MyKeyless on ebay for $20 shipped.  I have 2 questions.  1, in order to proram the key, is it necessary to have it cut?  I just feel weird having a working key somewhere in the vehicle at all times.  I know its very unlikely that someone will find the 556UW and pull the key out, but all the same it makes me uneasy. 

And question 2, how exactly do I program a key for this vehicle?  I have read bits and peices about using 2 working keys in combination to put the vehicle in "teach mode" and something about a light flashing, but where is this light they are talking about??  Is it part of my dash?  I am just concerned that I am not going to be able to do it, and have to pay the dealer the $75 they want to do it!  If anyone can spell it out for me, I would be much appriciative.  Thanks again!

ED7

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
You do not need to cut the key to program it.
On your dash you will see a small red dot about the size of a pencil eraser. This dot comes on when you turn your key in the ignition and if it sees the proper transponder the dot will go out right after you start the van. If it does not see the proper transponder it will flash rapidly and not allow the vehicle to run. If you do not have the red dot you do not have a transponder in your key.
To program a third key to the vehicle, take one of your existing keys with the remotes built in apart, leave the electronic board in the key. Insert this key into the ignition and turn the key to the run position and wait for that little red light to go out. Take this key out, put in the second key and turn it to the run position and wait for the light to blink (you should also hear a chime). Take the electronic board out of the first key while waiting for the light to blink and hold the new key in the same area as where the electronic board was in the first key. When the light starts blinking put the key with the electronics removed and the new key in the ignition in the run position, holding the new key in position. The light on the dash should go out after a few seconds and you should be able to start the car.
This is covered in better detail with pictures: here.
Just substitute your new key for the bypass shown in the picture and you should be good to go.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
lokel 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  

Seems a little simple but what I did with my 05 Dodge Caravan was cut the key, program as per the manual (with the two factory keys) checked that it worked, then ground off the tumblers on the key. NO longer usable for those awful thieves. Or you could just use  a hack saw as you only really need the chip. Works great.

By the way, this is how you program your blank cut key:

Put 1st factory key into run position without starting engine, wait until amber light flashes on dash, right corner bottom, switch ignition to off, pull out key. Put in second factory key, turn ignition back to run without starting, wait for flashing amber, in a few seconds chime will go on, then switch back off. You have 20 seconds to put blank key in. Switch back to run position, wait until amber light quit flashing. Normally around 60 seconds. When it quits, start vehicle. If it runs longer than a minute, it's programmed. It's about 5minutes work....Don't you dare pay Dealer! Read your manual.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic