icon

Aftermarket Stereo in a 2005 Dodge Magnum

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigfuchs44 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2008 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
I just bought a dodge Magnum and Im not really sure where to get started as far as installing an aftermarket stereo.  I have done installs before but always on older vehicles.  Looking at the dash alone it looks as though it will be more complicated.  The wiring isnt a problem but the install kit and dash appearence are a slight concern.  Can someone possibly get back to me if they have done an install on a Magnum and pass on a few pointers?  Thanks!
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2008 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
not really a hard car to work on. here are instruction and a dash kit model #
If you have the base system the install is really basic. You just might have to run an accessory wire to the radio since there isn't acc power there already. I usually use the cigarette lighter plug below the radio. If you have the infinity/boston/kicker factory sound systems you will need to either bypass or integrate with the factory amp ( under the drivers side underdash) Metra sells both types of harnesses to make things a little easier. Let us know if you have anymore questions or just how it turns out. Good Luck
rtfm
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2008 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  
  spookiestylez is right . Not a hard car to work on. He's right about the acc. wire also. Dont let it intimidate you, look at it as a new challenge.
nitrob 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2008 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  
I just got a call from a customer about installing some new front speakers, some rear 6x9's and some other speakers in the front up top somewhere.  I cant look at the car until Thursday this week so I figured I would check on here to see if anyone has done a similar job on one.  It has the hi end system in it.  The kid on the phone said its a hard install etc. but to me, the more difficult the more fun I have doing the install. 
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2008 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  
There is a integration harness for this car, its a metra CHTO-01. I have never used it but its supposed to give you accessory power behind the radio and has adjustable gains for the inputs to the amp. The last one of there I did I tried to use the Chrysler premium plug (the one with rca ends) and it didn't work for i ended up just bypassing the amp.Even if you have to bypass that factory amp, I would still rate this a 3/10. The factory amp is really easy to get to (under the driver side underdash),you can unplug the amp and the harnesses have plenty of slack to work with. All you need is 4 sets of speaker wire (or multi conductor wire) to run them from the radio to the amp.
All your output colors from the amp are:
LF   gray/purple - gray / YELLOW     
RF   dk. GREEN/ pur - dk. GREEN/ YELLOW     
LR   dk. GREEN/ tan - dk. GREEN/ gray     
RR   dk. GREEN/ brown - yellow/gray     
LF dash speaker   gray/orange - grey / YELLOW
FR dash speaker   gray/dk. green - gray/lt. green
center speaker    gray/brown - gray orange
I didn't do a amp on the last one I did ( didn't have a center channel either), but if i remember correctly the doors and dash speakers were 2 ohm so I wired left door and dash in series, same for the right. Be sure to test it with a multimeter first. If your doing a 4/2ch amp you could have the doors/dash in parallel.
Like I said, these cars aren't crazy hard to work on, really easy to work on, but for a first time with a new vehicle, if you end up bypassing it yourself it may take a extra hour taking your time. If you need anymore help feel free to let us know
oops, i thought nitrob as actually bigfushs44 posting back, lol.
my only other tip would be to always use plastic upholstery tools whenever possible, be cars are made cheaper by the day.
good luck on your installs
rtfm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic