icon

1996 toyota tercel audio wiring problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jonalava 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2009 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
I tried installing my new audio system in my 96 Tercel following the wiring diagram on here. All cables do match except that I don't know what the "white with green line" wire is for. I can't find a mention of it on any of the websites I searched. Also, I don't know what to do with the green (illumination) cable. There is no such thing on my new audio system. Do I have to plug this wire somewhere?
This thing is driving me crazy so any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  
if you haven't cut off the factory plug then you should go buy a cheap wire harness for your car from a local shop. was the factory radio plug already cut off when you started? if so and you are not sure what those wires do then just leave them alone for now and tape them up so they wont spark and blow a fuse. does the radio come on and play from all the speakers? if you set the clock and turn the unit off, does it keep the time memory?
make sure your dash lights work after the install, if they dont then you might need to do something with your extra wires or check your fuses.
jonalava 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  

The factory radio plug was already cut off when I started so I have to deal with all those cables. I will soon try a step by step wiring (constant 12V, switch 12V and ground only, and THEN adding gradually the speaker wires). As of today, I can't get the radio to work and I know it is good cause I had it in my previous car. The radio has no power at all. And I know there is juice in the wires cause the Toyota radio did work before it was pulled.

So I'll make another try and will let you all know.

Thanks again for the help!

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
Does this help?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
if you cant find power for the radio then you need to check your fuses. the fuse could have blown when the harness was cut or just by touching metal.
jonalava 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
I already checked the fuse and it is ok. I also tried to use the link provided by KarTuneMan with no luck. I'm starting to think that my audio system as been damaged when pulled from my old car. Is there a way to test it without plugging it into a car? I have a 12V battery pack (to boost the car when it doesn't start), can I plug the radio to the battery pack? What is the proper way to do this. At least, I would be sure the radio is OK...
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
what type of deck are we dealing with here mr jonalava, in order to test to ensure your deck is working properly, connect the constant twelve volts wire and the switched acc wire together and connect them to positive teminal on your battery and ground wire to the negative terminal, of course if the equipment is factory stuff you would have to know which wire does what.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
jonalava 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
I managed to test my jvc deck on my power pack and it plays fine. So the problem is coming from the car. Maybe the diagrams I got are all wrong. I will borrow a friend's multimeter to know exactly which wires are the constant, acc. and ground. I will let you all know about my success/failure. Thanks again!
jonalava 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2009 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
I did manage to isolate the problem. I tested all the wires in the car and the problem is the constant 12V one (blue / YELLOW). The acc.(grey) (when the ignition key is turned) gives 12V and the ground (brown) seem to be fine. But, no matter what I do, there is no power coming from the constant 12V. So I did test all the other wires to be sure the constant 12V was not misidentified on the diagram I found, with no success. I also re-checked all the fuses and they all are OK. Am I missing something? The previous Toyota OEM radio did work fine. Are there any other fuses somewhere in the car? I am so close to make this work with all your help...
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2009 at 6:53 AM / IP Logged  
there are two fuseboxes one under the driver's dash and the other in the engine bay, if all seems fine, it isn't that hard to source a twelve volts at the ignition harness and re-route a fresh wire to your harness, if you do this you can use a piece of twelve gauge or so and fuse it at around 20 amps as near to the supply as possible.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic