the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2000 Chevy Impala dome light problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
csorb 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
Hi. We put a prestige alarm into a chevy impala. My installer connected a relay to the wire for the dome light (WHITE/ blue I believe) at the switch. he says it worked once and then the switch stopped working altogether. Only the center dome-light turns on at all. The under dash courtesy lights don't work. He tells me he checked the fuses. Any help is greatly appreciated.
ksachet 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2003 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  

Hmm.  I experienced a similar problem with our 98 Chevy S-10  after the alarm was installed.  We soon found out that their is a factory installed relay on the passenger side up under the dash that controls the dome light ( and dome light delay) only.  The installer over looked this and taped into the domelight and curtisy light with a seperate relay causing false triggers all day long.  Not sure if this helps but you may look into it. 

We removed the 2nd relay put in by the installer and only taped into the dome light, then used the door switch as a second input forgetting about the  courtesy light which seemed to provide ample protection.

It appears as though some installers like to T tap into the curtesy light because it's quick easily found.  Some may disagree with me here but I don't really see a need to tap into the curtisy light at all

csorb 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2003 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks. That is exactly what he did. he added a relay and went straight to the courtesy light. Now however, the courtesy light does not go on at all-even when opening the door! (even though he removed the relay) although the dome light does. I wonder when those lights are supposed to come on, since they are obviously on their own circuit.
Once we solve that, I guess I'll have him go to the domelight.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2003 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
Why not just use the correct door trigger wires? They're blue and blue/white, both at the harness going into the fusebox...one catches the driver's door, the other catches the other doors.
If you go to the domelight, the alarm will false after 20 minutes when the BCM goes to sleep.
ksachet 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  

My guess is now that your relay is removed that your courtesy light wire has been damaged.  Have you tryed to replace the courtesy light? As well as checking all fuses?  Take the bulb out and measure your voltage across the harness and see if your even getting any juice when the door is opened.  Might just be burned out! ( I know sounds stupid)  But been their before!  Anyhow, I'm not sure about the BCM going to sleep, I have a pontiac I am installilng the alarm in and am trying to find this information out in regards to the BCM.  You can tape the door triggers too , may check and see if they need to be diode isolated with a 1N4001 1A diode before cutting into everything however.

csorb 
Posted: May 04, 2003 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
I actually checked the schematic for this car and saw that the courtesy lights have their own turn on from the BCM. I don't know why, and now I'm not sure when those lights are supposed to turn on at all. The bulbs are fine.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 05, 2003 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
Checking the schematic is a good start.
It sounds like you can fix this the cheap way or the expensive way.
If the BCM is defective, I suppose you could always buy a new one.
Or, just rewire the courtesy lights to run off the domelights. The customer will be happy, and you'll save money.
Also, there's always the slight chance that resetting the BCM will get the courtesy lights working again...it can't hurt to try. Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, then reconnect and see what happens.
csorb 
Posted: May 20, 2003 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
Ok..Now I feel silly. I mulled over the schematic, wondering what we could have done,and biting my nails at the thought of having to replace the BCM. The customer came in to have his alarm work "completed". When I said something about the courtesy light he said "Oh great, if you can fix it I'll pay you extra, It never worked!" Anyhow after that I checked the fuses and sure enough!
Thanks for all the help guys.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic