icon

matching enclosure spec's to sub spec's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
93_civic 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2010 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  

im trying to match my enclosure spec's to my subs spec's but i dont quit understand everything. the only info i have on the box i want to get is, Air Volume 2.00 Cubic Feet Total - Port Volume .53 Cubic Feet - Material 3/4'' M.D.F - Dimensions 36''Wx20.75" BD x 16"TD x 14" H.

now my subs say the recommended box would have, air space 2.2, port size (inches) 4x7, port vel. (%) 5.5, -3db (Hz) 32, tune freq. (Hz) 39, sub disp. (cu. ft.) 0.23, port disp. (cu. ft.) 0.05, total vol. (cu.ft.) 2.5

so does this sound like a good box for my subs? i dont know what port velocity or sub disp. means or how important they are so any input would be greatly appreciated! thanks! 

whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2010 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
Instead of trying to find a prefab enclosure that will work with your sub you should either build your own enclosure or get an enclosure custom built for your sub. That will improve performance and result in better overall sound.
Since the prefab enclosure didn't give you a tuning frequency (at least you didn't give one in the specs) I would guess it is tuned pretty high. I would not be surprised with a tuning frequency of high 30s or even low 40s. Having a tuning frequency this high can result in more output but it will also mean a loss of sound quality. So having an enclosure with that high of tuning would likely not be ideal for what you are looking for.
The port velocity would be the velocity of the air through the port of the enclosure. You want to have a low air velocity through the port or you will have port noise. The number that was given was most likely the velocity through the port given as a percent of the speed of sound. So that means the air velocity through the port is 5.5% of the speed of sound. You typically want to have less than 10% air velocity with around 5% being ideal. Sub displacement is that amount of volume the sub is going to take up inside the enclosure. The 0.05 means that the sub will take up 0.05 cubic feet of space inside the enclosure. You need to account for this as it does not count in the internal volume of the enclosure.
93_civic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2010 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

i'd rather not make my own box, and having one custom made would probably be pretty expensive. before i've always just bought a box put subs in it and that was it. always sounded fine to me. but i figured maybe if i can get a box close to what the manufacture recommends it could sound even better. im just trying to get deep bass rather than sound quality.

matching enclosure spec's to sub spec's - Last Post -- posted image.

thats a picture of the box im wanting to get. and yes the box will be complete before i get it lol but i've heard boxes with unique designs like that make your subs hit harder compared to a regular ported box.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2010 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
That IS a regular ported enclosure.  It's just for two subs...
Support the12volt.com
93_civic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2010 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
ok, maybe the port itself is regular, but every other ported box you try to buy isnt a maze look like that. its just the basic one piece of wood port. assuming its a slotted port and not rounded ports of course.
nodiggie 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
There isn't anything wrong with single (basic) ports. It all boils down to the required port length required for the desired tuning frequency. Some boxes look like mazes because they NEED to have the port length to achieve the specified tuning frequency.
Since you are not totally up to the idea of making your own enclosure, I would recommend the biggest pre-fab box you can find for your sub. If you later find that desire to build an optimum enclosure there are a lot of "old school legends" on this forum who will be glad to help you figure out all the specs.
Still learning
Kraco
93_civic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
im not saying "basic" ports are bad, like i said already i've had basic ones before and they sounded fine. im fairly new to this but it seems like everyone always says "your subs are only as good as your enclosure" but the only diffrence i see in pre-fab'ed boxes is either a slotted port or round. thats why i was looking into getting that box, to see if it would make my subs sound better. but it looks like the only responses im going to be getting are "make your own enclosure" lol
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2010 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
Pre-fabs are made on a generalization of the size and tune for the size sub. An enclosure built for the spec for YOUR sub and tuned to your application will outperform a pre-fab any day of the week. Not to mention most pre-fabs are built with sub-par materials and construction techniques. Hints why going pre-fab is not as good as doing it your self or having a custom enclosure built.
matching enclosure spec's to sub spec's - Last Post -- posted image.
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2010 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  
What subs are you using? That may help us determine a prefab that would actually work. There are some enclosures on ebay that are not bad with specs around what you need.
The "maze" port is not going to be any better than a "regular" port. A port is a port so the configuration is not going to make much of a difference. The length and cross sectional area are going to be the biggest factors in how well designed a port is. Actually, a port that has a lot of turns can actually decrease performance as there will be energy lost around the turn of the port.   
The enclosure you pictured actually looks very similar to Diamond Audio's recommended port design for some of their subs. If that is the case then you would have a very high tuning (around 40Hz) and small internal volume (around 1.25 cubic foot per chamber would be my guess). So that would actually be far from the manufacturer recommended enclosure. I would guess the 2.0 cubic foot volume did not include the port or sub displacement.
Also, is there a slant on the front of the enclosure or the back? If the slant is on the back it would be bad as the port area would change. This would not be a proper port design.
93_civic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2010 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
im gonna be using 2 audiobahn dub200's

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic