icon

how to make a custom tool tray?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2010 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  
Since I will be competing in IASCA there comes a time in the competition where the judge will ask you to change a fuse they give you a time limit to complete the task. What I want to do is make a custom tool tray that will sit next to my amps so I have everything I need to change out the fuse. My thinking is
Arrange the tools in a neat and orderly manner securing them to a scrap piece of wood with double sided tape. Cover the tools with aluminum foil and form the foil around the tools getting it as tight to the tool as possible. Step two cover the foil with lightweight fleece, saturate the fleece with resin and allow it to tack up. Add fiberglass kitty hair to reinforce the tray. Allow the tray to harden overnight and remove the tools from the form. The foil should let the tools come out? Then cover the tray in vinyl. Will this work? Has anyone done something similar? Would using spray foam work better then the fiberglass?
Phreak480 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2010 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
first of all if you want them to come out easy you are going to need to compensate a bit for some of the thickness of the vinyl or they will be too tight. also choose the shape of your tools carefully. for example a screwdriver with deep ridges in the grip will be very difficult to get out if the tray is formed to that shape. smooth handles will likely be your friend here. now mind you i've not built such a thing but it seems to be common sense and i do have some years of auto upholstery experience to go on. also i dont know really which tools you will be using. if you could give more info maybe the group can provide some more advice. best of luck to you and when you do compete let us know how you do. what about using a high density foam like they make toolbox organizers from to hold the tools, it has some give to it and is made to retain tools yet allow easy removal.
sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2010 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
I am looking at a Set of T-handle allen wrenches, Holding the blade type fuses, a number 1 slotted for tweaking gains and a multi driver for my security bit that's kept in my Safe when not using.
Something like this. I may have to add allen wrenches since I don't know what my sub amp will take because I don't have it yet.
how to make a custom tool tray? - Last Post -- posted image.
Phreak480 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2010 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i'd think a high density foam would likely work well for you and you can cover it in felt or vinyl possibly.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2010 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
Magnets are good....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic