icon

audiovox aps 57n

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
todd1 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2010 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. Almost completed the wiring connections except for a few. I like some direction/assistance with the APS-57N remote starter that I'm installing.
I'd like to use the aftermarket remote to r/start, unlock,lock and disarm the factory alarm, and get rid of the factory fobs.
Is this possible? Can you explain which connections I need to complete for this to work? See below....
I know something about a "pulse" that needs configured, not quite sure.
1. The APS57N has a Yellow w/blk trace wire for a +12 alarm by-pass output. Do I need this for the Santa Fe? And if so, where is it connected on the car?
2. Door Lock/Unlock - the APS-57n has a RED & GREEN door lock outputs. Can someone confirm where these two are connected? Again, I want to get rid of the factory fobs and use the R/S fobs.
3. What would I use output wise from the APS-57N to control the rear defroster? Can that output be configured to turn on any time via the remote? Also, what wire in the car would that tap into?
Thanks, Todd
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2010 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

Here is a link to the Bulldog Security wire listings :  http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.asp  According to them a remote start will disarm the factory alarm.

Here is a link to the AudioVox wire listing :  http://techservices.audiovox.com/Login.aspx   Sign up is free.  According to them the factory alarm can only be disarmed via the factory remotes...

Both list the door lock / unlock wires color and location.  You should be able to connect the APS 57N outputs directly to the vehicles wires.

Neither site lists the Defroster wire.  Going to need a DMM and do some testing to find it.

Soldering is fun!
todd1 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2010 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
Kreg357,
Thanks for the reply.... however,
1. Already have the wiring sheet. Also, found a wrong listing on it.
2. It's a gray area that the disarm only happens on factory fobs. I read somewhere on here about using aftermarket fobs to handle unlock/disarms. It must be somewhere in the pulse outputs or trigger? The bulldog sheet lists a "trigger" (yellow) from the door...how does this work? What about that +12 by-pass? Is it needed?
3. I have a Fluke DMM, used it for most of the install. My question was which "output" from the APS57N would I use to control the defrost? Such as Receiver Channel "4" or "5"(buttons #1 and #2 on the actual remote).
Thanks, Todd
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2010 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

Glad to hear you are verifying all your connections.  The wire Guides  are not always accurate as you found out.

Haven't done a 2005 Santa Fe so can't help much with the alarm.  You can experiment with it.  Does it only set with the FOB lock or will a Driver door open + Lock button arm it?  If thats the case, if you don't use the factory FOBs and don't use the door lock button, you won't turn on the alarm.  Some cars will disarm when they see "Keysense" and Ignition.  There are some cars, like Nissans, that will not set off the factory alarm with a remote start.  You might get lucky and find that Bulldog was right.

The Door Trigger is just a signal the car makes when a door is open.  Usually used for alarm systems.

The Defrost can be several types.  Some cars, like the 2011 Sonata, need just a (-) trigger pulse to turn on.  Other cars need a "latched" signal.  Some high end remote start units can be programmed to output a latched signal for a selectable time period like 7 minutes to defrost the window.  I am not familiar with your APS-57N unit.  There are members that are so hopefully they can help you.

Soldering is fun!
todd1 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2010 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
Would any member here like to brief on the AudioVox APS-57N in a 2005 Santa Fe and its integration of the factory alarm?
See my first post above...Thanks!
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 24, 2010 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
No real way to control the factory alarm on that car. Unfortunately, it's only armed and disarmed by the Hyundai remote.
You can certainly connect the APS57 to lock and unlock the doors of the car, but it will not control the factory alarm.
If you want to add a remote starter, here are your options for security:
1. Install the APS57 you have, and live with no alarm anymore. (Leave the Hyundai remote in the glove box just in case it somehow gets armed by accident someday.)
2. Install the APS57. Disassemble the Hyundai remotes, find the correct traces that control the Lock and Unlock buttons. Solder wires onto the traces, then use the APS57 to trigger relays to trip the factory remote. Put all of that under the dash somewhere. Lots of work to do this, but at least it's an option. Hopefully you're good with relays and soldering.
3. Instead of the APS57, use an alarm/starter combo like the APS787. Don't use the factory alarm anymore, but at least you'll have the aftermarket alarm.
4. Instead of the APS57, get something like the APS-101 one-button remote starter. It only starts the engine; you'd still carry the original remote to control the doorlocks and factory alarm.
Also, I've never tried interfacing with the defroster on that car. You could try to find where the factory defroster relays is.......turn the defroster on and off and follow the clicking sounds. When you find the source of the sound, you'll have to test all the wires there.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2010 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
Ref the defroster, if you leave it on then turn off the ignition, does it come on automatically the next time you turn on the ignition?
If so just make sure you connect up ALL the wires from your remote start and leave it on the night before.
Second method:
Find the "hot" wire that supplies 121volts+ to the glass element. Trace it back to the front, it's either going to come off a relay by a front fuse box or the heater control module. cut this wire then use a relay as follows.Neg aux out from R/S, timed, say 10 minutes to relay 85.
12v+ Constant, fused at 25 amps to 86 and 87.
Switch side of cut wire to 87a and glass side to 30.
This method won't interfere with normal operation.
todd1 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Ref the defroster, if you leave it on then turn off the ignition, does it come on automatically the next time you turn on the ignition?
Find the "hot" wire that supplies 121volts+ to the glass element. Trace it back to the front, it's either going to come off a relay by a front fuse box or the heater control module. cut this wire then use a relay as follows.Neg aux out from R/S, timed, say 10 minutes to relay 85.
Thanks Howie,
The rear defrost goes off each time with the ignition. So, I would have some tracing to do. That's the easy part. The part I'm confused on is the APS57N does NOT have a timed output listed in the manual..How would I wire the defrost then??
todd1 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2010 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
Chris Luongo wrote:
No real way to control the factory alarm on that car. Unfortunately, it's only armed and disarmed by the Hyundai remote.
2. Install the APS57. Disassemble the Hyundai remotes, find the correct traces that control the Lock and Unlock buttons. Solder wires onto the traces, then use the APS57 to trigger relays to trip the factory remote. Put all of that under the dash somewhere. Lots of work to do this, but at least it's an option. Hopefully you're good with relays and soldering.
Chris,
That's a very interesting concept, solder wires directly on the circuit board of the factory fobs! I would have never thought of that. I suppose i can use a DMM to verify which traces perform lock/unlock? Do I use the OHM or diode setting for that?
I may try it. However, can you elaborate on which outputs I would use on the APS57N for this? I'm fine working with relays and solder, its the outputs that are a little confusing on the Audiovox.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic