icon

blade technoligies amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2010 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all, i picked up the amp recently. a blade technoligies grenade series gt350.2 class a amplifier.

Problem is that there is a "pin" input that as far as i can find out that there is a kind of headphone/phono plug that has to be inserted for the amp to function, kind of an anti-theft feature.

This amp bein a rare and quite old peice of gear it is highly unlikely that i will find a "pin" to get this amp working so what im askin is.....

Is there any way to bypass the "pin" inside the amp? I know this amp is rare so i may be askin alot, but im hopin someone out here in netland has had this dilema and came up with an easy solution to get there amp to work.

Thatnks in advance, Mike

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 03, 2010 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
Can you take a picture of the amp and the socket for said pin?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2010 at 3:32 AM / IP Logged  
I am not sure you'll be able to help on this one, i am but I'd LOVE to see you crack it!
You have a Blade Grenade G5 amplifier. A true dongle, the missing pin was not just a plug-in "thing", with a resistor and a cap inside. My understanding at the time was that it was a chip, encoded to work with that amplifier ONLY. Not the MODEL, but THAT amplifier... The serial number was encoded within the chip, and it will not work with any other amp, nor will any other chip work with the host amplifier.
My understanding was ALSO that it was, like, 64-bit encoded, so as to be (at THAT time, anyway) un-crackable. Neat tech, but that's about all.
Otherwise, they were OK amplifiers... They were the first full-range Class-D amp I had ever seen. The predecessor to the Grenade was 22" long, 1.5" thick, and 5" or so deep... The kicker? It was six, 200W mono amplifier modules. Yep. 1200WRMS. They sounded like garbage, but for a first-gen Class-D full-range application, there were FAR worse sounding Class D amps out at the time... There were worse sounding Class A/B amplifiers out at the time. :) Hell, there are worse sounding Class A/B amplifiers out TODAY!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 04, 2010 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
I have a Blade amp somewhere in my shop.   The one I have has no security device at all.  It is an old amp.  18 to 20 years old.  Mine is a mono amp.  Tiny in size, for that era.
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2010 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
blade technoligies amp -- posted image.
haemphyst 
Posted: December 04, 2010 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
A link from a while back...
As of 2001 their phone number was (905)513-9858 the last I knew and were located in Markham, Ontario. (From a pamphlet I had... CES info. ...and my wife wonders why I keep all that stuff for years and years.)
astro88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2010 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
Can you take a picture of the amp and the socket for said pin?

I can do that, just not until monday as i dont have it with me. It just looks like a "headphone" input jack.

The news about there bein a chip involved too kinda sucks :( , was kinda hoping to do this myself...seeming kinda beyond my expertise tho.

ill get the pic up , inside and out and maybe some ideas will flow? . thanx guys

Oh BTW, my amp is a class A , not D, not that it matters to the issue at hand...

astro88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2010 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
I am not sure you'll be able to help on this one, i am but I'd LOVE to see you crack it!

Not sure what your sayin there?  You holdin out on me? lol

haemphyst 
Posted: December 04, 2010 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
No holding out... just know what he's capable of fixing... THIS one, however, I think is beyond even his capabilities.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
As far as I know there is no way to bypass the security dongle.  Perhaps if you were familiar enough with digital electronics you could crack the case and see if the IC functioned to lock out the power supply or the output stage and replace that - but that exercise would only be something a hobbiest might do for fun, not because you actually wanted to try and use the amp.  My best advice os to go back to wherever you "picked it up" and see of the previous owner has the dongle.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic