the12volt.com spacer
icon

adding cruise to 2003 silverado

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
winner329 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2011 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote winner329
Has anyone had success installing cruise in an 03 Silverado? I've read in another forum that the 03 Silverado came pre-wired for cruise and all you need to do is get a multi-function switch stalk with cruise and install it.
So I've been to the auto salvage and picked up used stalk out of a 2004 Silverado. I disassembled underneath the steering column per instructions found at thecruisecontrolstore.com. They say to strip the wires and extend them but I found a 4 wire plug that plugs into the used multi-function w/cruise I installed. Three of the wires on the harness from the truck are correct to the stalk I installed but the other one is brown instead of the required pink.
So I plugged it in and went for a drive to try it but it didn't work. The next thing I tried was to splice into the brown wire with a different wire and to connect it into another pink wire inside the BCM plug but that didn't work either. I definitely had problems getting to the back side of the BCM plug to identify the correct wiring. In fact I couldn't get to the back of it, the wire harness wasn't allowing me to pull it out far enough and I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem.
I am interested whether or not anyone else has tired this on an 03 Silverado. A couple things I'm wondering myself is whether or not the cruise controls on the used stalk even works (everything else on the stalk does tho) or if maybe there's a missing or blown fuse for the cruise option.
Any help is appreaciated. Thanks.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2011 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Mike M2
Your truck is drive by wire, right? Not all Silverado's are....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
winner329 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2011 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote winner329
Someone told me that the V8-5.3 engines were drive by wire which is what I have. I'm not entirely sure about it though. How do I know if it is? What do I look for?
Thanks.
Mark Mizenko 
Copper - Posts: 460
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2011 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Mark Mizenko

Does your accelerator pedal pull a cable going out tru the firewall?   Or is it just a big plastic assembly with a plug (connector) on it?   If it pulls a cable, it is NOT drive by wire and just the handle wont work.

If it is the plastic assembly with the connector it IS drive by wire.

winner329 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2011 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote winner329
There is a little round plastic housing down there with a wire connection on it. No cables.
Someone suggested to me that it might be possible that it was never programmed in the computer. Any thoughts on that???
Thanks for the responses though. I just need to keep searching online for some answers.
winner329 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2011 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote winner329
From what I can see from reading some other posts on this cruise control stuff is that it should have worked if I just plugged it into the connector that was underneath the steering column. So now I'll have to reconnect the brown wire on the trucks 4 pin harness plug for the cruise and try a different cruise control multi-switch arm.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2011 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Mike M2
I have installed aftermarket cruises in them, which are really just a new lever and plug in. I remember some not having the wires in the bottom of the colunm and you had to add the supplied harness. You may try checking Rostra.com website and see if the install guide there helps any. As for programming the BCM, only newer select GM's need to be(like the cobalt).
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Mark Mizenko 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2011 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Mark Mizenko

It should just work, and no programing is needed, just like Mike said.

The ones that I did that didnt have the plug right there, required that I went to the BACK of the ignition wiring junction block.  Thats a little tight, and requires that you free that block from it's mount.

But you said you have the plug right there to plug the lever into?

winner329 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2011 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote winner329
That's correct, there is a plug there to plug it into. But like I said, the color of wires to plug into were all correct on the trucks plug except for the cruise arm had a pink wire and the trucks harness was a brown wire. I didn't know if that would be an issue and was wondering if that is what other people had going on as well when they went to install it.
I did just plug it together and drove to test it but had no luck with it.
Mark Mizenko 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2011 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Mark Mizenko
The color of that wire shouldnt matter.  And the switch should be easy to test.   I dont remember the layout of the pins, but I'll try and look them up for you, and you can test the switch.     I think you can actually use a Rostra O.C. switch on that too. 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic