icon

99 mitsubishi eclipse with infiniti radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dan1520 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2011 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all! thank you for taking the time to read this.
I have installed an after market stereo in my friends eclipse. Not my first install but i'm no expert either. that being said the balance is way off. Much more sound coming out of the back speakers than the front. (yes i adjusted fade and balance on the unit itself even with the fade all the way forward the rear speakers are still over powering the front speakers) It previously had the stock infiniti sound system. (double din) i replaced it with a sony single din that he had purchased. I used a wiring harness kit and checked to make sure each wire was crimped correctly. (found diagrams online)
any advice as to how to fix this problem would really help me out.
Thanks!
dan1520 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2011 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
the wiring harness i used was a metra 70-7004
sthrnbmpn 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2011 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
infinity has a factory amp doesnt it? with a factory sub? its a lil hard to troubleshoot all that, but 1st thing i would check is the pos/neg leads on both fronts(crossed up, outta phase)
1000 watts of lp, now need sum hp an mids
dan1520 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2011 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
you are in fact correct. i did not know this and just found the infinity amp under the passenger seat....explains the extra wiring harness :P any one ever use this kit and can give me a hint has to how the amp interface works?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2011 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
if im not mistaken the harness you need to integrate with the infinity system hooks up through the rca outputs of the new radio and not the speaker level outputs. metra makes a special harness for it that i use on the montero sport but i dont remember ever using it on an eclipse. other than that you can run speaker wires to the output side of the factory amp and bypass the factory amp altogether.
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
Hopefully you didn't cut the factory 'din' plug. Thats the round plug that went into the factory radio. The 'din' plug is the factory amplifiers Line input. So it is best to have a after-market radio with front and rear Preamp outs. If the 70-7004 has the mating 'din' connector leading to RCA jacks, then you use the following RCA's:
White = Front Left
Gray = Front Right
Purple = Rear Right
Green = Rear Left
The single wire coming out of the harness is your factory amp turn on wire. Make sure it hooked up too.
Then from the standard molex plug you would only be using power, ground, accessory, and antenna lead. Maybe illumination as well, if your head unit supports it.
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
I have used it on an eclipse GSX, The amplifier was under the passenger seat as well. Your Metra harness should look like this:
99 mitsubishi eclipse with infiniti radio -- posted image.
dan1520 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2011 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
so before i discovered the amp under the passenger seat i used just the standard wiring harness...after discovering that i realized i only need what is in the picture above which the kit came with as well. now that i have it hooked up through the din interface and am using the power adapter i now have plenty of sound coming out of the front but very little coming out of the rear speakers....exact opposite from what i first had. my first thought was maybe a faulty amp? could i wire the rear speakers through the normal speaker outputs? should i bypass the entire amp. to do so do i need to run wires from under the seat to behind the dash. any help would be appreciated. or should i just wire up the rear speakers the way i had them before. since i had rear speaker sound with it wired not through din.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2011 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
does your new radio have all three front, rear, and sub outputs? or does it just have front and a selectable rear/sub output. if it only has the front and rear/sub, it might be set to sub and you are just not getting a whole signal to your rear speakers so it sounds low. just a thought.
dan1520 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2011 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
ha wow can't believe i didn't think of that. yup you were right set to sub output not rear output. Simple fix. Thanks everyone for the help!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic