icon

Access 2010 Honda CR-V Sensor Data

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hoss81 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2011 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  
I'm looking on a starting point how my 2010 Honda CR-V sends data like mpg, mph, etc.
Basically is there a CAN-BUS or a processor that stores and transmits the data?
If you could, let me know of books, sites or just some good knowledge of how I might be able to access these things.
Details: 2010 Honda CR-V LX
Want access to mpg, mph and any other data that might be available.
Plan: access data and store onto mcu. Build database to output to laptop and look at statistics of my driving habits.
Thanks!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 05, 2011 at 6:04 AM / IP Logged  
I would guess that the calculations are done either in the navi system or cluster and are not available to be accessed.
Instead, you could measure pulse widths to a single fuel injector and pulses from the Vehicle Speed Sensor and calculate many different numbers (such as mph and mpg). It will take some time to calibrate the pulse width value as fuel pressure and injector size varies from car to car so there isn't a standard calculation that can be used. But, once you have the calibration value figured out it should be accurate as long as you don't change any parts of the fuel system.
It may be possible to get an OBDII scanner that reads some of these values, but I wouldn't be very confident that the more obscure values (like MPG) would be available on the OBDII.
Kevin Pierson
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2011 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  
mp3car.com often deal with stuff like that.
Mind you, I usually suggest as per KP - measurement of injector PWM & speed sensor.
hoss81 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2011 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the pointers and link. One last thing, which Honda would have a similar wiring as the 2010 CR-V?
Thanks again for the help!
hoss81 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2011 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
I just wanted to clarify. I literally know nothing about cars, so how might I access the fuel injector's pulses, as I do not see much about them in the wiring forum posts.
Thanks!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 05, 2011 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
The easiest place would be at the injector itself. You may have to remove the plastic engine cover to see any of the fuel injectors. There should be 4 of them in a row usually on the top of the motor near the spark plugs. The fuel injectors are controlled by an Engine Control Unit so if you can find the ECU you can tap in to the wiring there.
Kevin Pierson
hoss81 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2011 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help Kevin! Is all Honda wiring the same, or is there a specific model that will be close to mine?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2011 at 3:35 AM / IP Logged  
KP - I was thinking a PIC, then I recalled the 8bit AVR...
Maybe a small PIC (PIC08?) is fine for batch or sequential fired if all injectors are fired at the same volume (ie, any vehicle with an O2 sensor), but if they vary from cyl to cyl it may require more... But shouldn't effect the Honda. (I'm thinking ionic sensing ignitions etc that match each cylinder.)
I take it that most CAN-BUS, OBDx etc do not have injection data as mp3car.commers try everything including using AFM & MAP readings. (IMO pulse measurement is the only way to go. Volume should be reasonable accurate to calculate (allowing for open/close time which is ~constant anyhow...).)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic