2002 merecedes c240 with no heat

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
calitech247 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2011 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
Whats up 12volt,
Just before Thanksgiving, a friend came to me claiming that his wife’s car has no heat. His mechanic explained to me over the phone that the problem was caused after I replaced the OEM receiver with an aftermarket Kenwood receiver. He said that cutting the wires for the OEM receiver put the CAN bus system to sleep. I am sorta doubtful that this is the cause of the problem.
If the problem was caused by removing the OEM receiver my thoughts were to extend the OEM power and data wiring for the OEM receiver and relocated it to a hidden location in the vehicle. I will need the anti-theft code, but hopefully the CAN bus will jump back to life and retain heater functions.
I have worked on numerous Mercedes Benz models and years. This is a first for me. CAN bus or databus wires usually control ignition, OEM amp-turn, illumination, and a few other things. Sometimes there is an interface module that can integrate the vehicles’ computer to aftermarket products, but this is not an option on this model. An accessory wire must be ran to the ignition harness or the fuse box in order to turn the aftermarket receiver on and off with the key. Then I just cap off the wires (in this case data wires) I don’t use.
My real question is this. Does the OEM receiver on a 2002 Mercedes Benz C240 have any thing to do with the climate control (particularly the heater)? If so, my second question would be how to go around it. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2011 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
Don't know if it does, do know this series is a nightmare electrically and they rust worse than the old Fiat.   If the can bus detects a fault it can "go to sleep"   you could try hooking up power, ground and bus wires back up to deck and try to hide under dash.  You may have to reboot system......goood luck
calitech247 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2011 at 2:49 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info,
Rebooting sounds like something done at the dealership.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2011 at 3:07 AM / IP Logged  
X2 with Ispker except nothing rots faster than than a Fiat except Lancia as Chrysler dealers will shortly discover.
Mercedes 98-05, nightmares, 00 onwards, run away from.
Having said that I did an 02 recently, Kenwood head unit and a Parrot, ACC taken from the cig lighter, everything worked fine.
I don't do much audio these days but I never cut the wires, I always use adaptor leads, having said that it still leaves the CAN wires into the radio now seeing nothing so I can't see what damage cutting them would do unless they were joined to something e.g. 12v+ in error.
Don't forget you have separate CAN systems for body, engine etc.
Come to thing of it I've gone to gearbox CAN on them for VSS also on installing trackers.
Again gone into the CAN wires when installing DVD units to C and E class Command and some Audis.
I think the poster is being hit by a coincidental failure.
Processor glitches were the be-all and end -all of this make 98-05.
Not forgetting the auto gearbox failures.
By the way does this mechanic have diagnostic gear because I certainly wouldn't make any assumptions without it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic