the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

PPI Black Ice Amp Review

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2012 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
just bought a new PPI black ice amp from a distributor of mine because they didnt have the MTX thunder elite amp i wanted as my first choice. i am unsure about this amp and i cant even find much info on it even from PPI's website. it seems like its a good amp especially since ppi is now owned by soundstream and not DEI. it seems like they are doing their best to resurrect a classic brand and they look very nice on paper but has anyone had any real life experiences with new PPI? my specific amp is the black ice BK1800.1D but any current review on any of their new stuff would be appreciated.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  

soundnsecurity wrote:
ppi is now owned by soundstream and not DEI. .

Not sure how much of an improvement that is.  PPI is now part of Epsilon Electronics, the owner of Power Acoustik, Farenheit, Kole, SPL, and SoundStream.  The last time I was impressed by anything from SoundStream was about the same time i was last impressed by PPI: 15 years ago.

Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

well i have a ton of experience with soundstream which is why i even considered this amp in the first place. im not saying they have the best amps on the market but they do have some really good ones and most of their subs are pretty awesome too. i wouldnt say they are the best sounding ever but they are built really well. now, their speakers and radios and tvs and sound processors are mostly garbage. basic rebranded chinese garbage that i wouldnt touch with a ten foot pole.

i can definitely tell you that a few of the items on ppi website are definitely the same as soundstream, all the signal processors and some speakers are all carbon copies.

which brings me to my point of wanting to hear from anyone about the new PPI amps, if they are modeled from the higher end soundstreams then im good with that but something tells me that they aren't.

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2012 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
If they relabel SoundStream as PPI it'll be a million times better than if they relabel Power Acoustik as PPI...  PPI Black Ice Amp Review -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
i wish power acoustic would just go away. but anyway i guess ill just have to wait and see. amp should come in friday so ill know then if its garbage or not.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: March 02, 2012 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
the amp came in yesterday and my first impression is that this is going to be a really nice amp. build quality look good although there are some differences from the description like having a black brushed aluminum top instead of a gloss black acrylic top, which is probably better anyway for a heat sink. i will post pics tonight.
DYohn 
Posted: March 02, 2012 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
I will be very happy if PPI comes back as a high quality brand.
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Posted: March 03, 2012 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  

well im having some technical difficulties with the pictures since i cant find my data cable for my phone right now but i can give you a basic rundown of what i can see:

amp weighs about 15 pounds

no fuses on the amp but the manual calls for a 160A fuse on the main power wire

amp has 0g power terminals, which is crazy considering its only supposed to be an 1800W amp, but if you do the math it should do at least 2000W at 1 ohm at 14 volts depending on the efficiency of the power supply. opperating voltage is listed as 9 - 15 volts

it has a damping fatctor of >150 but it does not give me a spec for THD which is strange because the manual is for every amp in this series including the 2 and 4 channels so they wont give you a thd for any of their amps which seems kind of fishy to me. their high amps are compatible with their balanced line transmitter.

DYohn 
Posted: March 03, 2012 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, I'm always suspicious of any amp that won't list CEA-spec test result...
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Posted: March 03, 2012 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
the box has the CEA logo on it but its just missing that spec.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic