icon

01 maxima key ziptied to cylinder?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
csb41502 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
ijust picked up a 01 maxima and was going to put in my viper 5901 alarm/remote start.i didnt think there was a chip in the key cause it looked like a plain old hardware store key.so i started taking stuff apart cause i thought i didnt need a bypass and there is a key with a chip ziptied right near the key cylinder?whats that all about?if i leave it like that do i need a bypass or is this good enough?if i still need a bypass whice is the best one to use.i dont wanna have to buy another key with a chip seeing that i have only one key with a chip.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  

The previous owner completely bypassed the vehicles transponder immobilizer system by securing a working key by the ignition antenna.  If you are not too worried about the car being stolen ( a screwdriver jammed into the ignition switch or even recovering the hidden key will work ), you can just install the Viper without an actual bypass module.  Definitely want an alarm system and the Starter Kill circuit to protect your new investment.

Another option is removing that key, getting a $70 clone key from big home improvement type store and using a DEI PKALL ( $40 ) bypass module to make the R/S work.  A bit more expensive but a lot more security.

Soldering is fun!
csb41502 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2012 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
so with a bypass i need to get a second key with a chip?i was kinda working on a small budget for right now but my wife wants this remote start in it real soon.for now would i be able to put it in without a bypass and ill hook up the starter kill and all that and get another key and bypass when i have the money?
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2012 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, you could do that. 

You only need one working key to program the PKALL.  After programming the key would be used for normal vehicle operation.   If you remove the full working transponder ignition key from its' current location, you can install the Viper and the PKALL bypass using just that one working transponder ignition key.  The Viper remote start would be fully functional, the vehicles ignition immobilizer system would be working properly but you would only have one working key to operate the car.  That extra key ($70) would be for a second or spare key.

Soldering is fun!
csb41502 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2012 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
ok i think ill order the bypass and do this the correct way.any tips or tricks on doing these cars?are the door locks easy?i can grab them right at the sccu or whatever its called?
kreg357 
Posted: April 18, 2012 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  

Here is the wiring guide from Bulldog Security :

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diagrams/printpage.asp?ModelID=14867&MakeID=5

Here is the wiring guide from DEI :

http://www.readyremote.com/main.asp?make=Nissan&model=Maxima

Locks are Type B (-) and are found at SECU along with door triggers and alarm wires.

The SECU (Smart Entrance Control Unit) is located on the passengers side of the steering column.

Here is a link to the PKALL install guide :

http://www.xpresskit.com/DocumentDownload.aspx?documentid=6102&productid=196&firmwareid=1636

Bypass wire connections info :

Vehicle  Years        Pin  Ignition   Pin  Data Pin    Security Light
Maxima 00-03        7   RED / Yellow        1   Orange          5    GREEN/ Orange    @  Immobilizer Connector

Soldering is fun!
csb41502 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not really following the last part your talking about with the bypass connections. And how do i hook up the second starter wire on my car?
kreg357 
Posted: April 19, 2012 at 3:08 AM / IP Logged  

The Viper can directly support the two starter wires, one ignition wire and

only one of the accessory wires.  The Vipers H3 Pink/White Flex relay output can
be programmed to Starter2 ( Menu 3, Item 8, Opt 3 ) and connected to the vehicles
Starter2 wire.

To power the second accessory wire, you will need an extra 30/40 Amp relay and

fuse holder with 20 amp fuse.  This extra relay would be controlled by the Vipers
Orange (-) 200ma Accessory Output wire.  Wire as follows :
Relay Pin 85 to Vipers Orange (-) 200ma Accessory Output wire
Relay Pin 86 and 87 to +12V constant through 20 Amp fuse
Relay Pin 30 to Maxima Accessory2 wire @ ignition switch harness
Relay Pin 87a not used - insulate

While the PKALL bypass install guide has a diagram of the necessary connections,
it does not include the actual wire colors.  My prior post listed to necessary
wires and their color to assist you with the bypass module installation.

Soldering is fun!
csb41502 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2012 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  
Will i need to use the heavy pink/black wire or just use the pink/white directly to starter 2?
kreg357 
Posted: April 19, 2012 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
H3 Pink/Black is not necessary, just Pink/White ( programmed as Starter2 ) directly to vehicles Starter2 wire.
Soldering is fun!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic