icon

2007 Nissan Pathfinder, Fiberglass Projects

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
krush 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
just came in my new FG rollers.... now i can get some work done tonight on the door panels. Any one have tips on cleaning the rollers???
I purchased a 1/2"x3", 1"x3" Al barrel, and 1/2" corner.. May need to also get a 1/8" corner too.
2007 Nissan Pathfinder, Fiberglass Projects - Page 4 -- posted image.
The best tool in my work shop, is my BRAIN!!!!
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2012 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
I'm still enjoying your posts! Nothing like an innovative can do attitude to getrdone with high quality!
I also need to invest in some FG rollers before I begin my next FG project.
I used a cup of acetone to keep my brush use-able in between layers but and I found this on yahoo answers: "If you are thinning then you use styrene, but if your cleaning up, use acetone. I hope this helps!"
so yea....acetone.
keep at it!
Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2012 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
got home early from my Liquor store last night to do some work on the Pathfinder.......   Got a lot of work done....
Deaden the driver door with Rattle trap, Sprayed 4 coats of liquid deaden-er
Passenger side door done
Got started on the driver door with 1st layer of FG
Used the new roller (work like a dream, no bubble and used less resin)
Ran the 2 14awg speaker wires for the 6.5 comps... Let me tell you it was a pain the but.... it took me a hour to get the wires thought the boot.
Just received the new RCA wires from Knukonceptz. Will be taking the head unit out soon now.... need to redo the z130bt basal as the shop i got it installed from did a crap install job.
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
fitted the 6-1/2 rings with a #8 T-nuts on the back of the rings.
Thinking of mixing up some JB-Weld to strengthen the t-nuts
Next is to glue the rings to the FG door mold after i test the angle i need to face them for the center dome. But the space is tight on each side of the front seat area that i don't know if it will make a diff? but i have the 3-1/2 in the A-pillars for my mid/highs :)
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
put some FG on the t-nuts and FG to make it stronger. Next is to get a t-shirt and rap the whole door panels and then a lot of FG layers.
Stay tuned kids..... I will show you a way to reinforce your FG work cheap. Another trick my dad showed me back in the days. I use this trick mostly on FG sub box's..... and never had one crack or fail yet.
Happy Holidays
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2013 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
so you sprayed the stick on door liner with deadener? why? the door skin itself is what you need to spray to get best results and if i saw correctly you only used some strategically placed strips of the rattle trap? did you spray the inside of the door too?
this is how i did mine. its just some cheap generic dynamat.
it was a real pain to work around all the wire harnesses and door cables and also mark and cut out all of the screw holes and snap holes. once they were dont though it made a huge difference in road noise.
i have those same knukonceptz RCA's and i will warn you that the flexible ends have a problem, when they bend or shake they will send a clicking sound through them so make sure the ends are very secure when you run them.
nice job on the rings
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2013 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
I did the ping test to see what areas needed the deadener, i used 80mil deadener so i only need to cover 50%. Also added deadener to the inter as well. I'm going to cut 1/4 MDF for the open areas of the door and screw them in. I hate to block the access port for the doors. I sprayed 5 coats to the open-cell door lining with Spray and Seal from Home Depot (didn't want to use MLV). They had them for 1/2 price, so i pickup 3 cases. This stuff works great as deadener, is very flexible after it drys and its waterproof. But has no control spray lol that why the over spray on the fat-mat hahaha. Made a big difference to the doors and floor.
I want my truck to be soundproof as well as dead, so i did the same for floor. Laid fat-mat 80mil for deadener (got it in bulk of amazon), the used 8" wide 20mil rubber on top of the fat-mat and then sprayed the rubber with spray & Seal to seal the over laps. and final added 3/4 cell foam to the floors.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2013 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
damn thats a lot to do to deaden your floor. im about to roll my whole floor too probably in a month or two. im pulling the entire interior and using a combination of fatmat and rubberized under coat and probably some dense foam in certain locations like the kick panels and inside the pillars. also going to roll the roof twice which i should have done when i changed the headliner to a different color and material, but i didnt have the money for another roll of fatmat at the time.
i just wanted to make sure you knew that just spraying that rubber door liner with deadener is not enough to seal out outside sounds. you have a good idea with making cover panels to cover the holes in the door instead of covering it with fatmat like i did, i should have done that myself but i didnt think about how hard it will be if i ever need to change the window or the regulator. ill be doing that myself so at least nobody else has to suffer from my mistakes.
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2013 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
Hey sound, i saw that knukonceptz has a 100mil deadener out, going to get that for the front floor. I like there products so far and if its 100mil thick that's the best so far. i will let you know. I want to do the roof too, just no time yet. if you have pic or tips on how to remove the liner plz post it for me. thx
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2013 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
Wife did a great job on wrapping the FG door pods with a t shirt.
YA i said the wife. Gotta love her!!!!!
Now for the fun part..... FGing
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic