the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

dodge magnum sql system build

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2012 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote z03mz03m

Hey everyone,

I became the proud second owner of a silver 07 Dodge Magnum SXT last weekend!!!

That means  the Mazdaspeed Protege from my previous system build is for sale with the complete stereo in it!!!

Anywho, the Magnum has the perfect front door panels for insalling my...drum roll...Exodus Anarchy's!!! The speaker grill is round even though the doors have 6X9's in them and the grill diameter is about 1/2" larger than the Anarchy's mounting flange diameter (so 1/4" gap all the way around).

I have a PPI P900.4 amp that I bought a while ago and a PPI A500/2 that I bought even more of a while ago. I am thinking of using the P900.4 briged to the Anarchy's and the A500/2 for whatever tweeters I choose to go with the Anarchy's.

Which brings me to my first decition to make...What tweeter should I get to pair with the Anarchy's? 

A guy on the other forum who is running the Anarchy's has some Image Dynamics Comp v2 HLCDs with mini horns.

I have to admit tweeters are my weak point in driver selection. I get that power handleng and crossover point are going to be a big factor but the Anarchy's go cleanly to 4kHz and most two way's I see have a x-over between 1-3kHz and therefore I have more room to play with but since I can choose in that larger freq range...What is a good crossover point to use in a car with the Anarchy's?

Below are the Thiele Small Parameters for the Anarchy's:

Re: 6.4 Ohm

Le: 0.84mH

Fs: 45.8Hz

Qms: 6.37

Qes: 0.48

Qts: 0.44

Mmd: 29.4

Mms: 30.25

Cms: 0.4mm/N

Vas: 9.61L

Sd: 131 cm^2

BL 10.79 N/A

SPL: 84.7 dB/1W/1m

Pmax: 125W

Xmax: 12 mm 30% Down Point on simulated BL curve (from model)

Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote haemphyst
SPL=volume SQL=database
There is no such thing as SQL.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
z03mz03m 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2012 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote z03mz03m

Your right...I meant just Sound Quality....these are what I must have been thinking of though as I plan on attending/joining the latter.

What does an SQL database consist of?

dodge magnum sql system build -- posted image.dodge magnum sql system build -- posted image.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
z03mz03m 
Posted: October 22, 2012 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote z03mz03m

I believe I have found the tweeter I will be using.

Vifa NE19VTA-04

Frequency response: 775-25,000 Hz

Fs: 775 Hz

SPL: 89.4 dB

Power handling: 80 watts RMS

Impedance: 4 ohms

It has the flattest frequency response compared to the titanium and silk versions of it and compared to some of the other tweeters I am looking at. Also it should match up perfectly with the PPI A500/2 amp 80W @ 4 ohms.

Other equipment I am looking at is:

Pioneer DEH-80PRS because of its 3-way crossover and auto EQ and TA capability

TC Sounds Epic 10" or 12" subwoofers because of there low FS of 24Hz. My sub(s) will be low-passed at 50Hz or 63Hz depending on how the Anarchy's perform in the door enclosures I plan on fabricating.

PPI BK1800.1D amp for the sub(s)

Kinetik HC2000 Battery to replace the stock battery.

Power Ba$tards Fitzall 220AMP alternator

soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
ive always wanted to try out the DEH-80PRS, if i remember it has an 18 band stereo eq with auto tune. you are on your way to a nice system but why would you use a 2 channel and a 4 channel amp? its easier to just run everything from the 4 channel, it seems like bridging the 900.4 on the 2 anarchys would overpower them slightly
z03mz03m 
Posted: October 23, 2012 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote z03mz03m

Soundnsecurity,

Click > DEH-80PRS for pioneers website for the 80PRS and look at the owners manual under "Manuals & Brochures" on the left side of the page. I believe the stereo EQ you are refering to is in the DEX-P99RS which is of course what i want...but not budget friendly. the 80PRS has a 16 band EQ and also Auto TA EQ with a mic just like my Premier DEH-980BT but it also has band pass crossover capability which i need to run everything active.

Below are the specs for the Anarchy's. Notice how their power handeling was not fully tested and therefore the 125W is probably very conservative and also note the low SPL/Sensitivity of 84.7db which increases my belief about them being able to take more power reliably.

So as to eliminate other doubts of their power handeling I had one in a box tuned to 40~50Hz in my trunk connected briged to my XA4200 amp which was giving it aproxamately 250w(I was being conservative with my 200w estimate below, XA4200 = 4x125w@4ohm) @8ohms of SUPER CLEAN power and it sounded like an 8" subwoofer and never bottomed out or had any distortion even at high levels.

dodge magnum sql system build -- posted image.

z03mz03m wrote:
Stage 2 Amp Rack:
I decided to throw the anarchy in the back for some temporary thump. At first I had it on the floor in the back seat hooked up to one channel of the XA4200 and it sounded good. Then I threw it in the trunk for safer keeping and...dodge magnum sql system build -- posted image. I forgot it was 8ohms so instead of maybe 50-60watts on one channel its getting about 200watts bridged...and I am putting those in my doors... WOOOOT! That thing has surprised everyone that has heard it!
dodge magnum sql system build -- posted image. 

soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2012 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
do you plan to actually build a box inside your doors? it shouldnt be too hard with fiberglass but dont expect the same airspace as your temporary box. if you do that then remember to dampen the actual door panel and the door or else expect tons of rattles from that dodge door panel. and rattles from the rest of the car for that matter. man id hate to have to dynamat the floor of a magnum, but in your case seeing as how you want maximum response from those mids i'd be dampening everything in sight.
as far as powering them, i still think 200W is a little too much for a door speaker even though i know you want to cross them low. i would opt for the simplest system i could build and it would be a lot easier to set up and less potential for noise. plus i think you would have to use splitters at the amp to fill all of the inputs.
ps. i thought i was the only one who liked to use home/industrial multi-conductor wire inside of cars like you have running from that amp into the box.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
finding a good crossover point can be a bit tricky. i had to set mine by ear because the components i bought were meant to be used with a passive crossover and i didnt really have the individual specs for the tweeter and mid. i have an active crossover with fully adjustable settings so i just had to listen carefully as i adjusted the point to find the best balance of mid and tweeter. i ended up with a crossover point around 2kHz with an 18db slope and because i didnt have any specs it made me kind of nervous for a few weeks because i didnt know if the tweeters would handle being crossed so low.
i dont know how your premier works as a crossover, whether its fully adjustable or it just has set points that you can choose from, but all you really have to be careful of is to make sure the tweeter is protected at its lower limit and other than that its all about what sounds best to your ears.
z03mz03m 
Posted: October 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote z03mz03m

SQL=Structured Query Language

I deffinitely will be fabricating enclosures for the anarchy's and the tweeters will be glassed into the doors as well. its going to be a challange to maximise my airspace in the doors and try to make them equal. I will be looking to make them ported enclosures first but may end up with sealed.

as far as installing damping...im not afraid to strip the whole interior of my car. So far ive explored in the trunk behind the side trim pannels where i plan on glassing the sub enclosures and the center dash where the stereo came out with my fingers and a phillips. the door pannels are pretty well mounted and for an 07 there are very few rattles right now. Besides, ill be taking the carpet out to run all the wires to MECA comp specs.

the P900.4 has a switch for 4ch or stereo operation and actually has band pass x-over in it too, but ill be useing the far more accurate one on the 80PRS.

the 80PRS crossover is not infinately variable it has plenty of points to choose from though and they are listed in the manual i made a link to in my last post.

the wire in the pic is 14Ga tributaries wire that i collected as scrap from one of my previous employers....its as nice as speaker wire gets.

I plan on mounting the P900.4 and A500/2 under the front seats to keep the RCA's as short as possible.

I have to more thouroghly read the MECA SQL regulations to decide/determine what category ill be entering as and to keep documentation that i built to their requirements...wires secured every 6" etc...

soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 23, 2012 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
wires secured every 6 inches, i use these zip ties that have a mounting ring on the end, that should make your job very easy.
please dont try to port your door speakers... the only possible reason for this would be if you didnt plan on running a sub woofer at all. in my opinion it would be more work than its worth and more things could go wrong than could go right.
i love system builds like yours. building a system when you know it will be judged just makes it that much more important to pay attention to details. do you plan to run all new speaker wire too?
i guess it should be easy to run the amps under the seat due to the split carpet, you just have to make sure you find a good ground close by.
does your magnum by chance have the center speaker location on the dash?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic