icon

Rockford Fosgate Power HX2 RFR3112 wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Edicius 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  

This is what Crutchfield says about the Rockford Fosgate Power HX2 RFR3112.

"For increased system flexibility, the woofer has two 4" 2 ohm voice coils. When the voice coils are wired in parallel with each other, the woofer presents a 1 ohm mono load. When the voice coils are wired in series with each other, the woofer presents a 4 ohm mono load. In addition, each coil may be connected to a different amplifier channel and each channel will see a 2 ohm load."

Is this correct?

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
For all practical purposes, yes it is correct (Diagrams are below). The RFR3112 is a 12" 2ohm DVC sub, rated at 1000RMS and 2000Peak.
However, it is NOT recommended to run each coil from seperate channels or a seperate amp. You can read more on that here.
Rockford Fosgate Power HX2 RFR3112 wiring -- posted image.
Rockford Fosgate Power HX2 RFR3112 wiring -- posted image.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Tcole 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
That diagram from JL shows each coil on a seperate channel and yes I agree with it. But I think Rockford is saying you can run 2 voice coils in parellel on one channel that way each voice coil will be getting the same info.
This is also assuming you are running another DVC on the other channel with same setup.
Any thoughts
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
It's not just RF. Here's another link to the JL site that shows the same thing. Here's the link to Rockford's main wiring wizard as well. There are many more out there as well if you have the time to look for them (most sub manufacture's have their own diagrams either on their websites or in their manuals).
The Rockford diagrams I posted were for a single DVC sub setup, or one DVC sub per channel. If you're running from a mono amp, or a bridged channel, then you do not have to use two DVC subs (but you can if you want to as long as you keep the total ohm load in mind).
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Edicius 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2003 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

It says that the RMS power is 150-1000 watts...and my amp is 240 watts RMS in 4-ohm mono operation.  Can I wire it correctly?

Edicius 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2003 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

Crutchfield says that the speaker is 150-1000 watts RMS...and my amp is 240 watts RMS in 4-ohm mono operation.  Can I wire it correctly?

wvsquirrel 
Posted: May 09, 2003 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
What amp are you using?
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Edicius 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2003 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
I have an Orion 260 Cobalt amp.
wvsquirrel 
Posted: May 12, 2003 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
You can, but I don't think you'll be happy. The RFR3112 is a Power HX2 sub. I don't think you would be happy with the bass at all unless you were feeding that sub at least 1000 watts. I don't know why crutchfield puts ratings like "150-1000 watts RMS", because it causes people to spend a lot of money on the sub thinking they can power it with a small amp and have great sounding bass. When in all reality, the bass is terrible (because the sub is being majorly underpowered) and you would have been better off getting a different sub designed for your amps output RMS rating, for less money, and getting better sound as a result.
Rockford states 1000 watts RMS 2000Peak, that's what the sub was designed to run on. This is not an entry level sub, it's one of Rockford's top of the line. However don't expect much at all if you're only going to throw 240 watts to it. Here's a link to the manual for the RFR3112 sub. It covers more than just that one sub, but your specs are at the bottom of page 10.
I couldn't find anything on your amp, but I'm assuming it's a 2-channel amp like the Orion 265 Cobalt. If you're absolutely die-hard going to get the RFR3112 no matter what, then wire it in series for a 4ohm load like in the 2nd digaram I posted above (since your amp is 4ohm stable bridged) and bridge the amp. I would still seriously suggest either looking into a different sub or looking at a more powerful amplifier.
A little personal experience to maybe help convince you... I'm running 2 RFD2112's (2ohm DVC Punch HX2's 500RMS 1000Peak) from a Rockford Power 1000bd amplifier (1000watts x 1 @ 2ohms). Those subs are the next step down from the Power HX2's that you are looking into. I tried them with a Power 500bd amp at first (throwing 250 watts to each) since I already had it, and the sound was terrible. Once I ran 500watts to each from the Power 1000bd (matching the RMS of the subs) it sounded incredible. Now that was only a 250watt difference per sub. Imagine what you would experience with a 760watt difference by running a 1000RMS sub with only 240watts! I'm not trying to say that you would be necessarily wrong if you went with your existing amp and an RFR3112, but I think you would be better off with a different setup (either a different sub or a larger amp).
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Edicius 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2003 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
Well...this is only a temporary setup untill I can afford a new amp.  I bought the sub on a good deal and I already had the amp so I was going to use it untill I save up for what I really want.  I just want to know if I will damage the amp or the speaker by running them together.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic