icon

New Glass Technique

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
Covered it in suede. Plus strength is tried and tested. This box has been going tough as a demo car for 2 years now. 0 issues in strength ir performance.
Gary Sather
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2013 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
yea im not saying it isnt strong enough for some installs, my point was that actual fiberglass is still stonger. hell i made some pods a while back for some tweeters out of a thin layer of fleece and soaked it in resin and you can probably hit it with a sledge hammer, i was really surprised at how strong it was after just one layer. plus the fact that your box has nothing but curves also has a lot to do with why it holds up nicely, if it wasnt so curved it would probably flex a little.
honestly if it flexes now you wouldnt even know it because its covered in suede, if it was painted, that would be the true test of whether or not it flexes.
tonanzith 
Posted: April 15, 2013 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
Well I was just throwing this process out there. It IS strong. And it ran painted for a few months before getting wrapped in suede. No flexing. Glassed clean through over 1/3" thick. It worgs great when you need curves and a slightly faster process.
Gary Sather
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
how hard is it usually to sand something like that? it mush be pretty rough when its first cured.
tonanzith 
Posted: April 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
No harder than sanding any other fg application.
Gary Sather
krush 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
speakermakers do you remove the hardboard after the FGing or just leave it? I would assume that the FG just bonds to it like wood?
The best tool in my work shop, is my BRAIN!!!!
speakermakers 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
I guess there have been a few points of confusion on my original post.
    What Fatmat is
    How I use chip board
    How this technique saves you time sanding
When I refer to Fatmat I am not refering to the sound deadener product. Fatmat is a term used in large production fiberglass industries like boat building and hot tubs. Fatmat is a technique where you pre-layer modified twill with random chop mat using solvent based spray glue. This allows you to apply resin to the fiberglass before putting it on your project. Doing it this way also allows you to roll out any excess resin giving you the perfect resin to fiberglass ratio for an ultra strong and light wight product.
New Glass Technique - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Yes I remove the chip board. I tape and wax the chip board before I lay glass on it. I then bond the glass back onto my project. My projects are much lighter weight and much stronger than you will typically find in the car audio world.
This technique saves you time sanding. Because the glass is preformed and rolled smooth. The final layup requires much much less body filler and consequently sanding. As an added benefit the project has dimensional stability. It won't warp in the sun and there is not much filler on it so it won't shrink and show sand lines through the paint work a couple of months down the road.
speakermakers 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic