icon

2013 Acura RDX VSS Wire Location

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BChillin83 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

Well I tried looking for the vehicle speed sensor wire today and no luck. I have a tech sheet from directechs telling me "on vehicles with navigation, can also use blue at the radio, 24 pin plug, pin 23".

I found two blue plugs, one behind the radio (24 pin) and one at the nav screen (more than 24 pin) and there was no blue wire at pin 23. I also tested pin 23 on each plug by driving around with my multimeter hooked up to it and no reading....

I tested all the blue wires I could find and all pin 23 in every plug that had at least 24 pins. Still no luck.

If someone has better info as to where the VSS wire is on the 2013 RDX with tech/nav and 10 speaker ELS Audio, please let me know. There has to be a VSS wire behind the radio because the audio system has the option to adjust the volume according to how fast we drive. I think its called "Speed Volume Control" or something like that. I have a little project going on in my own car so finding this wire behind the radio would help al lot. I dont really want to use a VSS wire anywhere else other than behind the radio since I dont want to mess with the cruise control or speedometer

2013 Acura RDX VSS Wire Location - Last Post -- posted image.

racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2013 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  

You may not have a choice but to grab it some where other than the radio opening. My only source says

Speed Sense     tan    PCM on passenger fender, middle 49 pin plug, pin 48

Remember on newer vehicles, just because something reacts to say speed, it does not mean that componant has a speed sense wire. It could be getting speed signal from CAN wires. (data)

To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
This wire exists on the CRV in the same location if it has nav. Same place, pin 23 in the 24 pin plug. I've used it before so i know it's there, and since an RDX is the same car you would think it's there.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
BChillin83 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2013 at 6:20 AM / IP Logged  

I found it, I just was not positive on the location. The wire is where directechs says it is. I pulled up a wiring diagram from Acura for the RDX and the pins on that connector are not numbered in order. The four corners, are numbered 1,2,3,4. So the location of that wire threw me off. I wanted to find this VSS wire to see if putting a switch on it would prevent the screen lockout on the navigation in my RDX but no luck. The nav is most likely getting a speed sense from one of the CAN (data) wires; and I dont really want to mess with those :( 

1--5--6--7--8--9--10--11--12--13-14-2

3-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-4

racerjames76 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2013 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  
I know I give this response on here alot but checking vehicle specific forums will usually get you more information on issues like these. Look in the a/v sections and see if anyone is making a "lock pick" interface for your radio. Give it 6 months on a newer car. I am sure someone will have a piece for that vehicle very soon. 2013 Acura RDX VSS Wire Location - Last Post -- posted image.
racerjames76 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2013 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  
coastaletech.com/hondalockpicks.htm  something similar to these
BChillin83 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  

I was actually trying to bypass the navigation lockout. When the car moves, certain controls on the nav deactivate to prohibit use while driving, such as entering an address. Does that link you posted for that type of thing? It looks like if you just want to hook up iPod, iPad, ect.. to watch videos.

Navtool.com offers something similar for the 2013 RDX. Im not looking to play videos

racerjames76 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
The interface i posted a link to does everything including unlocking gps menus. I would call both companies to see what is best for that vehicle and your needs. Always nice to have the option of adding other things as well in the future.
auto-12 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2014 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
BChillin, do you have any update? Were you able to figure this out? I know it's been a year, but if you don't have it figured out, I have a suggestion.
You might want to try activating your VSS switch, then drive the vehicle into underground garage, or tunnel, or someplace where the vehicle would absolutely lose GPS signal for 10 seconds or more. If navi loses GPS, it would seem logical for navi to revert to VSS to calculate speed, if you have VSS grounded, presumably it would interpret this as 0mph and unlock the menus.
If this works, then you'd just need two switches -- one for the GPS antenna coax and one for the VSS, and this would be a useful find.
Personally, I think CAN might be a cleaner solution (all digital), but my first thought is that you can't trick navi with CAN because navi has direct access to all the raw signals and would navi disregard CAN-speed in lieu of the data it has direct access to.
Anyway, I don't have access to a disassembled RDX, but from the wiring diagrams I see online, this would be my experiment.
Best luck, please let us know.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic