ccs 100 quit again

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
va2ir 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  

Fellow,

I am on my second CCS-100 cruise unit mounted in a 73 Gran Torino. 

THe first one lasted about 4 years, and this one maybe 5.  They just up and quit.  The first one was a bad servo. I swapped in the new servo from the new kit and all was well until this season.

I have done all the trouble shooting: voltages are fine, resistance on the purple wire is 1.7 ohms, and its grounded with no brake pedal, +12 with brakes applied. Brake lights are fine.  Vacuum is fine and strong.  I checked the magnet and the sensor, they are there, I lifted one drive wheel off the ground, put the car in gear, and measured the output from the transducer:  voltage increased as I increased RPMs. So that should be ok. DIP switches are ok as well.  AS I said, this unit worked for the past 4 ot 5 years, and quit this spring.

I just picked up a NOS Dana cruise unit (same as sears) from the 80s which I plan to swap in.

However, Audiovox does not make the CCS100 any more. Does anyone have an actual board-level schematic for it?  Seems either the vacuum part (cable puller) isnt working well, or the small solenoids inside the servo are not actuating.  I put 12 volts on each coil (they unplug from the circuit board) and each solenoid engages and each gave a resistance of 45 ohms on their coils.

Anyone have any ideas or more info?

Thanks

Ian R.

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
Why not purchase a new electronic cruise control from Rostra. It will work with the lever and magnet speed sensor you already have installed.
sparky
va2ir 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2013 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  

Hi Sparky,

You answered my posts about this issue back a few years ago.

Seems the servos are the problem. Once again I checked all the wiring and its fine.  Purple wire resistance 1.1 ohms.  Brake lights are all fine.

Audiovox doesnt make the CCS-100 any more.  I'd love a schematic of the board.

I picked up at a local auto flea market an NOS cruise unit, probably made by Rostra back in the day, and sold by Sears. It was marketed by Dana.  Like I said, NOS, in the box, all packets of hardware are there, sealed with the instructions. I only paid $20 for the thing, so I will do the install and see what happens.

You mention getting a replacement ROstra unit.  Any Rostra dealers in New York State? Along I-87, Albany or NYC area?  Does Advance or Autozone sell them?

Or, lets say I went to a u-pull yard, and got a modern cruise unit, say from a Mustang GT V8.  Could that be retrofitted to my non-VSS car?  I could use the magnet and coil arrangement I guess for VSS, the tach is a no brainer, and if I need more pulses per second from the speed sensor, just add more magnets on the drive shaft I guess. Has anyone tried this?

Ian R.

sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
Contact Rostra at rostra.com. See if they have a dealer close to you. Newer cars use a drive by wire system that you can't use. Trust someone who has been around a while. Bite the bullet and buy a new unit.
sparky
va2ir 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
Sparkie,
Just to update, I installed that 80's era NOS cruise system and it works like a charm. Its the kind with the external purple control box and vacuum dump valve.
I did speak to Rostra. They have no dealers near me.
The cruise unit from my 03 mustang would work on my torino. Throttle is by cable not by wire. Needs tach signal and VSS (from magnets). The control switches might be an issue.
Anyway I did get the older unit working however I'd love a board schematic of the CCS 100 just for my own curiosity. Someones gotta have one.
Cheers
Ian R.
sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2013 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
Congratulations on getting it to work. I installed many of those units. Long ago. They were pretty good in their day. The new electronic ones work smoother and aren't subject to vacuum issues. Sorry I have never had board schematics. I would simply grab a new unit and install it. Great job.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic