icon

capping maximum input voltage

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
agemax 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2013 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
i have a 12v circuit board wired into my motorcycle which has an input tolerance of 11v-13v. it is powered directly from the battery which, by nature of the charging system can be upto 14.5v
is there something i can put in line from the battery to the circuit board which will not allow more than 13v to the circuit board?
i thought maybe a resistor in line maybe but i cant let the voltage drop below 11v.
any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Phreak480 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2013 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
Find a proper switch mode / buck boost power supply that runs of 10-15 vdc or so ( to allow for the variation in the motorcycles voltage) and outputs a clean 12 vdc.
agemax 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2013 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Phreak480 wrote:
Find a proper switch mode / buck boost power supply that runs of 10-15 vdc or so ( to allow for the variation in the motorcycles voltage) and outputs a clean 12 vdc.
hi, thanks for the reply, so you mean a 12v power supply that is powered by a 12v battery, but the power supply can manage the variation in input voltage but outputs a solid 12v?
can you give me a link to an example of what you are referring to, or shall i just google it?
thankyou capping maximum input voltage -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 05, 2013 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
I have no idea what kind of circuit board you are trying to power, but the Astron power supply on my repair bench has variable voltage. It STAYS at 15 volts. I have powered everything that you can put in a vehicle with this 15 volts.
If you are concerned and want to use a regulator of some sort, I need to know the maximum current draw of said circuit board.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2013 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
What is the load in Amps or Watts?
A simple Zener clamp (regulator) may be all that is required.
agemax 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2013 at 3:13 AM / IP Logged  
the circuit board contains 4 relays which i am using to power a remote start/ignition for my bike. the spec says max draw with all relays energised is 140mA.
i can post a link to the system i am using but i am not sure if i am allowed, does it not say in the forum rules that you cannot post links to stuff? or have i read that wrong? capping maximum input voltage -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 06, 2013 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
You can post a link. Some websites such as Ebay, sonicelectronics, are blocked by the server. Post it and I can figure it out if it is a blocked one. If this is designed for automotive/MC use, it will handle the 14. whatever volts you send to it.
agemax 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2013 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
this is the unit i am using
http://www.quasaruk.co.uk/acatalog/DS-LEWES4%20Remote%20System-2.pdf
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2013 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
The unit's relays are rated for 5A and they typically have ~30mA coils which aligned with their data. (All relay operating less quiescent = 140mA - 14mA => ~120mA for 4 relays = 30mA per relay.)
The 11V - 13V receiver is obviously not designed for automotive use - ie, typically 8V - 16V operation or tolerance.
And whilst I thought a Zener regulator was fine for capping 140mA to 13V, it doesn't solve the problem of a cranking dip below 11V.
Hence I agree with Master IAAI - get a dc-dc converter that outputs 12V at least 2W (~160mA) with an 8V or lower to 16V or higher input.
Else get a receiver designed for automotive use.
agemax 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2013 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
ok, thanks for that advice. can you point me in a direction to such a DC-DC power supply that i would need?
i cant seem to find one, or i am looking at the wrong things.
thanks
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic