icon

fiiberglass top enclosures for old vw bugs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bulwinklemoose 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2013 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
These are two home built enclosures that I've built for a few people.
They go behind the rear seat of older style VW beetle-bugs pre-1980.
this first one is a full range enclosure containing a pair of coaxials and a single 10" Kenwood subwoofer.
I've been building the sub box then just framing in the rest, also been using spray foam insulation on the inside fiberglass-ed walls of the fleece to help to dampen them better.
If anyone wants to know the dimensions for the cubby behind the seat are 36 wide x 12 high x 11 deep which gives you roughly 2.3 cu. ft. to work with.
Most single 10" subs require a box that is under 1 cu. ft. for sealed & at least a 1.25cu.ft for a ported box.
I've been going with a single 10" with the bug only because I like to port the enclosures. you might get lucky and find two tens that you can squeeze into a ported box but you might just have to go with a sealed in this area?
fiiberglass top enclosures for old vw bugs -- posted image.
This one is simply just for subwoofers in this case, 2-10" Infinity Kappa perfects 10.1s. The owner of the bug wanted a VW logo in the middle of the box to light up blue to go with his blue car. Box was also reinforced with heavy "L" brackets because of the weight of these speakers. the reason for the "T" shape of the enclosures is for wheel well clearance
Keep on Buggin'
bulwinklemoose 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2013 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  
The VW symbol on this (red) and the first enclosure (the gold one) was cut from a piece of diamond plate aluminum with a water jet.
             ** I also wanted to note**
I wanted to utilize as much space behind the seat as I could without getting too extreme, so to add full range speakers also it's a nice close fit...
The top outer framing of the enclosure should be 44" wide at the front and 36" wide at the rear, So when looking at the VW logo on this dual sub enclosure it is facing towards the rear of the car, the 3" port is toward the front of the car and fires into the back seat area...chipboard on back of rear seat was removed because of port obstruction.
This is not a fiberglass enclosure but a large heavy 3/4" particleboard ported enclosure that I'm going to replace with a much lighter fiberglass topped one.
This enclosure contains a pair of 5 1/4" Hifonics separates and a pair of 10" JL 10w08s. 8 ohms each, wired in parallel to give 4 ohms to my 500 watt amp. Also using a 150w x 4 for my full range speakers, a stiffening capacitor and EQ.
This is in my '1974 bug right now. I'm still going with both JLs but in a sealed instead of ported one this time?
Keep on Buggin'
bulwinklemoose 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2013 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
Keep on Buggin'

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic