icon

nexus 7 for a headunit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rans0m00 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2014 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
So have a 2010 Honda Fit Sport (no nav) and was wanting to replace the factory head unit for something that worked a little better with my Android phone. After some thought I decided why not just use my Nexus 7 (2013) that I don't use as my head unit. I don't listen to anything that is not streamed or flac that has been stored on my computer. Here is where I have made it to and the missing pieces. I want to go with a USB DAC but cant seem to find one that works without too many issues to be mounted in a dash. From the 3.5mm jack the signal needs to go to something that will allow me to adjust the balance and fade. I usually only adjust my balance and fade once to get it to my liking and never touch it again so whatever is used will most likely be hidden since I don't want anything showing except the tablet screen.
Dash kit modded to fit the nexus 7
Wired up for usb power always plugged in
----Unsure how to get it from 3.5mm to amps----
Will either wire up my Kenwood 8405 and 8105
or
purchase a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 and PBR300X1
Speakers are undecided at the moment... price is a hangup; budget is roughly 200 for the front components, 130 for rear coax, and subwoofer is a big hangup due to me needing to make a custom fiberglass box to have the room for a sub at all.
If someone could point me in the right direction or give me some suggestions I would appreciate it.
rans0m00 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2014 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
Would what I am searching for to separate the fade and balance just be an equalizer? I am sure its right in my face I just don't know the name of what I am looking for.
co_ne_dub 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2014 at 7:11 AM / IP Logged  
The cable you would need is a 3.5mm to RCA cable. To get a balance and fade from a two channel audio source like a headphone jack, you would need an audio processor like RF 360.3, MS-8 etc. where it can take two channels (LandR) and give you a F, R, and Sub. I guess you could also use a crossover like clarion mcd360 for the same general idea. Dont think it will give you balance and fade though. More like attenuation only. Another option that I have used is a Sony GS600BT HU that way you have all the connections from your HU to Amps and the Nexus streams to the HU. Started to play with that in my Jeep at the end of last year
donmcgowen 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2014 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
co_ne_dub wrote:
The cable you would need is a 3.5mm to RCA cable. To get a balance and fade from a two channel audio source like a headphone jack, you would need an audio processor like RF 360.3, MS-8 etc. where it can take two channels (LandR) and give you a F, R, and Sub. I guess you could also use a crossover like clarion mcd360 for the same general idea. Dont think it will give you balance and fade though. More like attenuation only. Another option that I have used is a Sony GS600BT HU that way you have all the connections from your HU to Amps and the Nexus streams to the HU. Started to play with that in my Jeep at the end of last year
So, how would we connect a 4ch door speaker amp and a mono sub amp to the tablet? Would I need a crossover or some kind of sound processor to separate the signals before going to the mono amp?
co_ne_dub 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2014 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
Yes and no.
One option would be to use a product like the Audiocontrol 6XS. It would take the RCA input and give you up to six RCA preouts as well as being a line driver and crossover, which would probably be beneficial anyway.
Another option would be to use amps that have an RCA passthrough, like some RF and JL amps.
rans0m00 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2014 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
Well I kinda forgot about this thread... but the answer to what I did was used a Clarion eq. Separated my two rca inputs into front, back, and subwoofer channels. I forgot the model number but it was like 30$ on amazon.... super cheap to get everything to play nice. Since I started this post I sold that car and got a different one. Decided to not do the n7 install on my new car and instead just installed a double din and carried over my speakers, amp, and sub.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic