icon

dpdt relay for aux input switching?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jscherf92 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2014 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, im working on a project and I'm fairly new to designing circuits around relays so hopefully someone can help me out.
What I have is one auxillary input (female, 1/8"), and id like to be able to switch between two separate inputs (both male, 1/8"). I already have an extra latching push button switch wired into my center console capable of sending the necessary ~12v to activate a relay. I understand that the 1/8" stereo audio sources will have three pins to their sockets; left, right and common. My intention is to wire up each side of the relay respective to the channels, Input one left switched with input two left, then input one right switched with input two right. I believe this will allow me to have a default input when the switch is off and then when I press the switch it will change over to the second input. This leaves the "common" wire to just be connected between both inputs and the output.
Will this work? Will I need to take any steps to avoid any noise or feedback that will affect my music playback? Any input would be appreciated. I've attached a basic diagram, click to open and feel free to edit it
dpdt relay for aux input switching? - Last Post -- posted image.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2014 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
Your picture is too small to really see what you are doing. As long as you keep the grounds common and switch the L and R signals you should be fine. There may be a slight pop when you change sources but running the signals through a relay should not affect the signal when playing.
Kevin Pierson
jscherf92 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2014 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
thats my mistake, I assumed imgur would embed it as a link to open larger in another window. I am giving it another go tonight, ill provide a better picture and more information if I need any more assistance. Thank you for the reassurance about the signal though.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2014 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
To avoid the pop mentioned above, simply parallel a diode across the coil of the relay. Banded end of the diode must be on the positive wire.
jscherf92 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2014 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
I finally got this project finished and it works exactly as I intended. I do notice the pop sound when switching though so I will be picking up a diode tomorrow to finish this up. Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic