icon

hids on relay circuits

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
randallbwell 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2014 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
Hey I'm wiring up a hi/low & fog light system and I need them all on an independent circuit. What I need is a set of relays controlling the fogs on, the low beams on and then the high beams on while not cutting power to any beams while doing so. The stock dimmer switch cuts power from the lows/fogs when switched to highs. I'll be using the stock wiring harness as switch wires and I know this will be a simple task but I seem to be brain dead and can not come up with a good diagram of how to wire all these through relays. Does anyone have a quick sketch or advice as to how to power the low beam circuit while the high beams are active and also retain the stock switch function as of high to low switching?
Thanks
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
Is this a strictly "off road" application? You most likely will be breaking the law if you run all your front facing lights at the same time.
Kevin Pierson
randallbwell 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2014 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
Yes off road app.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2014 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
Without knowing how the OEM switches are wired it is impossible to tell you how to do it. If the high beam switch is wired in with the other switches it may not be possible to easily do what you want to do.
For example, if the high beam switch kills power to the low and fog switches it won't be possible to do what you want to do without completely rewiring the switches. If you can rewire them it is simple - connect each switch output to a dedicated relay.
Kevin Pierson
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2014 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
Similar to KP - each light to its own relay (SPST aka on-off or 4-pin).
The fogs & lows with highs can be overcome by diodes from the high +12V (preferably the relay signal rather than relay +12V output for delay and reliability reasons) to each of the fog & low relay coils (86).
And probably insert series diodes between the fog & low switches and their respective relay coils (86) to prevent +12V feedback from high to low & fog switches.
All diode lines (Cathodes) towards relay 86.
That will mean whenever the highs are on, both lows and fogs will be on. Extra switches are required if that is not always desired - eg, the individual switch per relay idea.
And don't have both high and low if using H4s or dual filament bulbs or single HID high/lows etc.
randallbwell 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2014 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you "oldspark" that was what I was missing and no worries these are powering 9005 & 9006 HID systems in separate housings.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic