the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

viper 5204 on 03 sierra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2014 at 6:11 AM / IP Logged  

Try it this way :

1.  Remove all the ADS harnesses except the 4 Pin power plug.
2.  Remove the 4 Pin power plug.
3.  Press and hold the ADS button.
4.  Plug in the 4 Pin power connector.
5.  As soon as the ADS LED starts blinking Red, release the ADS button.
6.  The LED will stop blinking Red and within a few seconds the LED will start doing the quick single Green blink pattern.
7.  Press and release the ADS button once.
8.  The LED should start doing a quick double Green blink.
9.  Press and hold the ADS button. 
10.  The LED should go Solid Green for two seconds, then go out. 
11.  Release the ADS button.
12.  Plug in the remaining ADS harnesses.
13.  Insert the key and turn it all the way to START, engaging the starter.  Hold the key in the START position and release ( back to
        RUN ) it as soon as the ADS LED turns Green.
14.  The ADS LED should go out. 
15.  Turn the key to OFF and remove.
16.  Wait a few seconds and then try a remote start.

After Step 5 the ADS bypass module is Factory Reset, loaded with GM1 firmware and waiting to be configured for either D2D

mode or W2W mode.  It is not programmed to any specific vehicle yet.

After Step 10 the ADS bypass module is set for D2D mode.  Once it "sees" the J1850 data wire, it starts blinking Red because it needs

more info.

At this point it is looking for the Pink wire to go to +12V ( key in and at ON or START position ) and gathers the necessary Passlock2

bypass data when the key is in the START position ( engine cranking ).

Soldering is fun!
roadglide2459 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2014 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
Kregg,
Can’t thank you enough – your programming instructions for the idatalink worked perfectly. The idatalink install / programming sheet was confusing at best at least for me.
Also, the “Service 4WD” problem has been resolved. I did check and verify that the Sierra’s White IGN2 was getting 12V from the Pink/White during remote start as well as the Brown ACC2 wire getting +12V from the extra relay and working like an Accessory wire. Both checked out fine – turns out it was my fault – After all the soldering under the dash I forgot to hook up the Orange (+) Accessory Output wire to the ignition harness Orange wire. Once that was done (and the idatalink was re-programmed according to your instructions) everything is working exactly as intended.
Now that the hard work is done, over the next day or so I will program the various system features to suit my needs (lock/unlock, lights etc.)
This project would have been much more difficult without your help and advice – Again, I can’t thank you enough.
-Rick
RoadGlide2459
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2014 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
Cool, glad everything is working now.  viper 5204 on 03 sierra - Page 4 -- posted image.  Enjoy your "new and improved" truck! 
Soldering is fun!
roadglide2459 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2014 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
Hi Kregg,
Unrelated question – my daughter has an 06 Jeep Liberty (with alarm and keyless entry) and recently lost one of her keys. The dealer wants $225.00 for a new key and associated programming.
I was thinking of putting a remote start system in the vehicle (the Viper 5204v and idatalink bypass I put in my 03 GMC Sierra was less than $225.00), and using her “one” functional key in the bypass module (I believe that’s required for the 06 Liberty’s) and then just having two regular keys made that would be used with the R/S key fobs.
Do you see any issues with this scenario and as important – can you recommend a good R/S & Alarm system for the vehicle.
Thanks
-Rick
RoadGlide2459
kreg357 
Posted: March 07, 2014 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
If you still have two working keys left, you can buy a full RKE type transponder key for around $30 or two plain transponder keys for
around $13, get it/them cut and program it yourself.
If you are down to only one working key, you can still install a remote starter. With an iDatalink bypass module flashed with the DL CH6
firmware, it will program with just one key and control the locks and Factory alarm.
There are many good R/S w/Keyless systems available. Depending on the range you need and if you want two-way ( confirmation ) the
prices can vary. For a decent one-way system with 1000' or range, look at the Avital 4103 or the Ultra Start U1272. Both can be found
for about $50. The ADS AL-CA bypass module flashed with the DL CH6 firmware is about the same price.
Soldering is fun!
roadglide2459 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2014 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Hi Kregg,
Only have one working key so I'll probably go with the idatalink - does that bypass require installation of the key into the unit itself (like some I have seen) or is it just for programming.
Also the OEM key controls the rear hatch (there is no way to open the latch without the OEM remote) so any R/S system would have to be capable of opening all 4 doors plus the rear hatch.
Thanks for your reply.
-Rick
RoadGlide2459
kreg357 
Posted: March 07, 2014 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  

The iDalink bypass module would handle the trunk/hatch release and only requires one key for / during programming.  This key is returned to the customer for normal use after the programming is successfully completed.  No key is left in the vehicle.

Just noticed :  The two R/S systems mentioned above do not include any alarm functions.  Figured that being as the Jeep already had a factory alarm, it didn't need a redundant after-market alarm too.

Soldering is fun!
roadglide2459 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2014 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
Hi Kregg,
After some more research I realized that even with a R/S system a plain “dumb” key won’t start the engine so I think what I’ll do is get two basic sentry keys off the web and hopefully the dealer won’t have a problem programming one and I can program the other since I would now have two working keys.
I'm kind of partial to the idatalink & Viper 5204,(primarily since I am now familiar with the unit). That doesn't mean I wedded to it, but I would prefer to have a 2-way capable system.
Am open to suggestions, especially if you have a wiring schema matching wire colors between the idatalink, the R/S and ultimately the Jeep?
Thanks,
-Rick
RoadGlide2459
roadglide2459 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2014 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
Hi Kreg357,
It’s been a month now since I installed the Viper 5204 and idatalink and everything is working great – can’t tell how nice it was recently when the temp was just above zero and I just pressed a button and viola – ten minutes later my truck was warmed up and ready to drive.
Did have one question though – when I remote start the truck the driver’s door auto unlocks. That’s not necessarily a problem because if I open the door (without first disarming the system via the key fob) the security system triggers and the alarm goes off).
Nonetheless – is there a way to program the system so the driver’s door does not auto unlock when remote starting? I have looked through the owner’s manual and programming instructions but can’t find anything.
Hope things are going well.
-Rick
RoadGlide2459
kreg357 
Posted: April 07, 2014 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  

Not sure on that issue, I haven't seen it.  Kinda strange.  The Viper isn't directly connected to the truck for Locks or Alarm.

The bypass module controls these functions thru Data from Viper commands.   A few things to check.

Verify the W2W connection between Viper H2/4 GREEN/ Black to ADS AL-CA 10 Pin harness, Pin 4 Brown.

Verify that the Viper is not set to OEM Alarm Disarm Pulses = 2 or Door Lock Pulses = Double Unlock Only.

I'm not a Viper person but you might try turning Remote Start Safelock = On.

Soldering is fun!
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic