icon

identifying a crimp terminal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gtv16v 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
I usually have more luck than I'm experiencing at the moment identifying and sourcing crimp terminals, but this pair has me stumped.
I've found them both available in bulk from Chinese suppliers but I really don't want to buy 50,000 of each when I only want 4 of each!
They are -
Male terminal
and
Female terminal
( the latter is a mirror image - probably an image rotation issue ).
The blade has a width of 4.8mm.
They are found fitted to Fiat group cars ( but not necessarily to them exclusively as I can't see Chinese manufacturers tooling for these terminals just for Fiat! ) from the early/mid 1990s and wouldn't have been sourced at that time from China as all the other connectors on the car are branded AMP ( TE ), PED ( Delphi ), Burndy ( FCI then Delphi ).
There's not much help looking for a stamp on the terminals. All they have is a stamped arrow.
The housing for the female connector has 'RKG' moulded into it, nothing on the male side.
I've been through Mouser, Element24 ( Farnell ) and Radio Spares catalogues without success although that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't there somewhere.
Does anyone have any idea who the original manufacturer and maybe part numbers would have been for these terminals? I've not had a lot of luck identifying 'RKG' either.
Thanks in advance.
howie (aka: harryharris)
Silver - Posts: 355
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2014 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
They're definitely in RS look for power connectors.
Test before boxing up.
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2014 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
TE Connectivity
Econoseal J Mk II crimp socket contact
That's the female, can't seem to find the male though.
Pop in to your local RS component store or Google Tycho Electronics.
Test before boxing up.
gtv16v 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2014 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
Looks like 175090-1 .
A couple of the dimensions differ from the TE tech drawing but it is probably of no consequence.
Unfortunately 175090-1 is not listed by RS or Farnell! But I'm sure I can find it somewhere now I have a part number.
I'm not so concerned with the male half as I can, as a last resort, purchase the a generic connector with tails fitted ( but I'd prefer to use the proper wire colours ).
Anyway, many thanks for your help. It's very much appreciated.
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2014 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
Try also Armour Auto UK that size is a standard speaker connector (+) at least for the male.
If you're near an RS depot, ask for the quoted sample then ask the sales assistant if he/she has the male version.
Test before boxing up.
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2014 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
Just been reading your OP again. Think again I was just looking at a TE relay, made in China! Also TE(Tycho) own AMP.
Bosch; Tycho now have the manufacturing rights and can you guess where they're made?
Test before boxing up.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2014 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
Are the terminals to be fitted into existing connector bodies? Could the terminals needing replacement be substituted with the larger size(6mm or so) and a mating set of connector halves/housings be used?
Have you searched forums pertaining to the vehicle/brand in question? Perhaps someone has that section of wiring harness available.
gtv16v 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2014 at 2:50 AM / IP Logged  
harryharris wrote:
Try also Armour Auto UK that size is a standard speaker connector (+) at least for the male.
Funnily enough, it is the speaker system I'm working on!
I'll check out Armour Auto and RS ( I have one not too far away, so next time I'm passing ... ).
Ween wrote:
Are the terminals to be fitted into existing connector bodies? Could the terminals needing replacement be substituted with the larger size(6mm or so) and a mating set of connector halves/housings be used?
Have you searched forums pertaining to the vehicle/brand in question? Perhaps someone has that section of wiring harness available.
The housings are too small to substitute 6mm.
The option of getting the wiring from a car being broken is a possibility. If I can't use new, then I shall do that although it would be a shame to not use the lengths of correctly coloured wires I've already bought!
Many thanks to you both. I'll report back later on what I've done.
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2014 at 3:11 AM / IP Logged  
It might even be easier to go into say Maplin in the UK, get multi way connector blocks of proprietary male and female connectors of a small size to replace your existing connectors.
Test before boxing up.
gtv16v 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2014 at 5:42 AM / IP Logged  
That would certainly be the easy way.
However, I do have a self imposed rule that all work on the car has to look like it was put there by the factory.
This has been the case for all the work done so far which includes retro fitting climate control A/C and numerous other projects. Where I've used new connectors, they are of the type the factory used. Someone would need to know the exact model year of the car intimately to realise that this wiring has been added. All wiring is also of the correct colour (main and tracer) and, where possible, conductor size (sq mm). The latter isn't always possible owing to availability of small conductor wire in all main/trace colour combinations so I have had to go for the next size conductor up in some circumstances.
Just my little foible. It can cause me major grief especially finding some of the Burndy (FCI/Delphi) crimp terminals. But worth it in the end for my satisfaction.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic