icon

110 inverter to 12v

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2014 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
Here's an alternative power supply, and just a bit of a read too.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005309
But it appears they're available rather inexpensively, which is always a plus.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2014 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
That's amazing - 12V 1300W PSUs for $20!
$40 or $60 for burps should handle Ryan's requirement - assuming parallel connection is ok, and no battery is used.
Ah - good ol' Compaq!
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2014 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
Probably would be best to have independent outlets (separate circuit breakers) for each supply...for those times when it needs to be turned up to eleven.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2014 at 3:38 AM / IP Logged  
I'd suspect they'd be self protecting.
I can't recall if they were hot standby mode - ie, BOTH halves commoned together with each carrying 50% of the load (and the load drawing no more than what one half can supply) - but I have little doubt that they were else telcos etc would not use them (or rather, NOT the telco I worked with).
Therefore it's also likely that any number can be paralleled without major issue - except that their output settings should be fairly close.
Dang you Ween - I think I you just caused me to hatch another round-tuit investigation. Not that I'm likely to need such big rectifiers (PSU) for a few decades, but now I'm curious!
I certainly dealt with rectifiers (ac-dc) and inverters (dc-ac) that could be paralleled. Most BIG ac-dc modules used inter-module communications that were essential on dc-ac inverters. Now if those Compaqs/Proliants had the same...
ryc1966 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2014 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
That is a great alternative...I have seen the price range from 350 usd to 1900 usd....some are commercial parts some are likely junk off the shelf parts. There is a factory tear out business in Cleveland that may have massive power supplies...I did not think of the commercial applications. I do belong the rc groups...I enjoy flying rc planes, edf , prop...the available info on electronics there is similar to the guys here...plus it is a clean and friendly group...thanks again for offering suggestions.
Take care, Ryan
ryan
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic