the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

eclipse sw9102 amp recommendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bertokamus 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2014 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
Hi all,
I've recently acquired a new vehicle, and would like to transfer my subs, only, into it. Down the road when I can afford another box and speaker combo, I plan to do so, but for now I'd like to install a new amp and cap in my new car, and just move the subs for the interim.
I haven't done any car audio installs or mods in a few years, and my brand familiarity has become somewhat rusty.
I'm currently using an Eclipse DA7232 to push two Eclipse SW9102's. I have a 6(?) Farad hybrid style batcap with a built in voltage meter, but I can't remember the make or model. It didn't cost an arm and a leg, nor is it a particularly memorable brand, so I'm sure the real world rating is probably much closer to 2-2.5 Farads. Moving on- current vehicle is an '86 Blazer with tandem Exide Orbital batteries and a standard 90A alternator.
I'll be transplanting the subs into an '07 Toyota Sienna (it's okay to laugh!) which has a factory (yay!) 150A alternator, and will be getting a Kenwood DPX500BT shortly.
I'm on the fence about a cap, I'll probably go with something middle of the road unless someone has a suggestion- but my real question is:
Can anyone recommend a suitable amp for these subs? From what I read the DA7232 is somewhat overpowering for these speakers, but it was simply what Eclipse recommended at the time, and I happened to have the ability to afford it. What's more, (and I'm sure this claim is made all the time, but...) I feel like these subs could easily take double the power they're "rated" for. Long story short, I'd like to end up with an amp with comparable breathing room to the DA7232.
Let me also make clear: I have very few, if any, inclinations to brand. As long as a majority can speak to the equipment's capabilities, it's good enough for me. I've even been researching Hifonics' Zeus and Brutus amps, lately. Aside from the DA7232, I've used Infinity Beta Digital 300's on these before (one amp per sub) and a year apart actually set the amps on *fire*.
Input, anyone? And thanks, in advance!
bertokamus 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2014 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
It has JUST occurred to me that *this* was where I asked for an amp recommendation before... YEARS ago!   :-D
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=81732&KW=bertokamus
bertokamus 
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2014 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
well first thing i would advise is that you dont worry about using a capacitor, hybrid or otherwise. they simply arent worth the space they take up in a normal system, it is more important for your battery and alternator to be good and to upgrade the size of the factory wiring going to the battery and alternator and the main ground from battery to frame, this will allow your power to flow more easily and fix any voltage drop that most people would try to use a capacitor to fix.
that eclipse sub you have is mighty nice, havent seen one of those in ages. id say you should try to find an amp that will give you about 1000 watts rms. would you happen to know what ohm load the voice coil is on your sub?... this rating will matter when you try to match it up with an amp.
in that power range there are all sorts of options and some will be better than others depending on what your budget is for an amp but i can recommend alpine PDX, JL audio HD series, maybe a diamond HEX series amp, Crossfire BMF or C5 series are some nice amps.
those suggestions are on the upper side of the price scale but they are all nice amps that will usually give you more than their rated power.
bertokamus 
Posted: March 29, 2014 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
Judging from the specs in my original post, I believe the SW9102's are 4 ohms each voice coil, and I have them wired into 2 ohm loads each speaker.   Therefore, I believe my 7232 is running at 1000 watts on each channel.
Just throwin' it out there. :-) Looking at your amp suggestions now!
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2014 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
oh! i didnt realize you had two of those subs... i thought it was just one. ok well if they are each a dual 4 ohm coil then i would be looking at an amp that produces between 1800 and 2000 watts at 1 ohm. those subs are rated for 750 watts each and could probably take some more but i would stop at 1000 watts each.
so with that being said, most of those brands i gave you will be ruled out because they dont make a single amp with that much power, only crossfire makes an amp big enough unless you are prepared to buy more than one amp.
it would be nice if you could tell me an overall budget you have in mind for an amp because amps get expensive when you are trying to get this much power
bertokamus 
Posted: March 29, 2014 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I have just become aware of what a single monster amp would cost to run these bad boys in the last few days.
Perhaps I shall seriously rethink moving the amp, as well- LOL!
I laugh because I look back at my original post and holy crap did I have money to burn when I picked up that DA7232- certainly not the exact same case these days...
I was hoping for a budget amp around $500, give or take $100, but regardless of whether I go for a single or two, I don't think it's going to be very feasible unless I gamble on some mystery off-brand equipment. And quite frankly, I'd rather not subject these speakers to a suspect rig if I don't have to.
What do the Crossfire amps run in your experience? I'm going to do some Googling on them, now...
bertokamus 
Posted: March 29, 2014 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
Holy CRAP @ Crossfire XS amp line- 8,000-12,000 WATTS!?!?! EXCUSE ME!?!?
Sorry- don't mean to be melodramatic, just, literally, well- shocked- wow!
soundnsecurity 
Posted: March 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
lol yea there are some pretty outrageously priced amps out there but for you with a budget of about $500 i think it is doable. for those subs you could go as low as a 1500 watt amp and be just fine, 2000 watts is not a must, that was just to have some head room with the power.
check out these brands: sundown audio, skar audio, power bass, precision power, and hifonics. they will have a few amps in your price range.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic