icon

interior leds switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jcbrins 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2014 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
Ok for the record I don't want to start off on the wrong foot so I have searched for what I need to no avail.
I have asked on another forum, but they can not answer me. So here is my problem.
What I have is dash,door, etc led strips, and what I want is to run them to an on-off-on switch like this.
On - power from door switch to fade in with dome
"Off" - leds
On - constant power
The car I have is a 2012 Civic EX and what I found on the door switch is two wires
dark green (-)
Pink(-) controlled
Any help on this theory?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2014 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
Not that I know anything about Honda's wiring, but usually I suggest the following, however dimming depends on where the Honda's dimmer sits.
Dimming may require that you wire the strip in parallel with the domelight itself...
interior leds switch -- posted image.
jcbrins 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2014 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
That works, but I should have been more clear. I don't want to adjust anything, just one side of switch to tag along with the dimmer wire, of either the dome or door.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2014 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
Now I am confused. What do you mean by not adjusting?
But if you want either, then simply wire in parallel with the dome light (the actual bulb or LED).
Keep in mind that LED strips are usually 12V as opposed to automotive 12V (ie, can be over 14V).
jcbrins 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2014 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
I can run parallel that's no problem. What I want is a switch to run with the dome, or constant if I want it to. What wiring info I did find on the '12 civic was that both leads were negative. How do I make my leds to come on? If I have to draw a diagram I will. With a negative input would I bring in a power source from another area?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2014 at 3:27 AM / IP Logged  
It sounds like the Civic is typical grounding as per my diagram.
You'll have to supply the +12V & GND for your LEDs (obviously). That could be done with relays, but sometimes diodes - tho that most likely requires diodes to be inserted into the existing dome or door etc circuitry. Hence a mod to OEM (if that's what you call 'adjusting').
That probably won't include the dome dimming. Whether or how that can be done depends on the Civic's dimmer and how it is powered & triggered etc - and it assumes it's PWM and not analog else the LEDs wont dim linearly - they'll tend to dim slightly before a sudden extinguishing whilst (tungsten) bulbs are still maybe half bright.   
Maybe a diagram of what the Civic has - including the position (+ve or -ve side) of its dimmer if that is to be involved - and what you want to add is worthwhile.
jcbrins 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2014 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  
That helps, and gets me closer. It's ok if they don't dim like a normal bulb, it's mainly just to come on with the door open. Now I did find the negative output relay circuit for the alarm, would I just follow that diagram? I want to make this into a box for others to buy, because no one has it. I'm going to be out of the house most of the day, once I get back I will draw a diagram of what i need with and without relays (mainly because they are so expensive)
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2014 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
I don't think there is anything you can sell. You just connect the +12V of the LEDs to +12V and the -ve/GND end to the door switch.
Plus add a resistor to limit the strip's voltage to 12V.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic