icon

avital 4103 engine start troubleshooting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tommyblazin 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2014 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  
I am a newb here, but have strong wiring/control background/licensed hvac tech NATE certified, anyhow , i just bought a 2005 Chrysler pt cruiser gt turbo edition, Everything on the installed alarm works, except the auto start, its started a handfull of times, what was weird i had it do it while hood was up? than today i bought a new battery for key and it started with hood down, what usually happens is it tries to start goes thru the motions, than just gives up right while it there, i also noticed my rear defroster is not working as well, checked error codes w/3 click key trick, car is clean....i believe it a Avital 4103, its black w/neon like green buttons, is there a way to tell for sure, i have no paper work, where would they mount the mother box, if you will, in this car, hood opened , i see speaker top right side<battery side> with a wire going twords battery, but its buried i cant quite trace it,is the base located where, under the wipers the cowling comes off, and cabin filter is in there/ on the left side anyway?also is there possibly a fuse blown in base ? im lost , its confusing when it does it sometimes, and not again? very strange, the defroster seems to have something to do perhaps with it? thank-you in advance, enough from me...
here's the key
avital 4103 engine start troubleshooting -- posted image.
on the back has 800 number and battery code, forgive my eyes, what appears to read d-eazyside474S if that makes sense??please advise, thanks in advance guys...
avital 4103 engine start troubleshooting -- posted image.
2005 pt cruiser gt turbo
tommyblazin 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2014 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
Also today i noticed, it starts why i am in car and key is in "on position,every time no problem, i can take key out, so valet is perfect??? not sure if this is related but i have 2 error codes,and i had none when i picked up car codes:0513/0522
Meaning of code's :0513:nothing in master log about this code? any help appreciated om this as well.
code :0522:Engine oil pressure sensor/switch circuit low voltage
2005 pt cruiser gt turbo
lucasoil4u 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2014 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
so it starts everytime with the key in the ignition when using the remote start?
tommyblazin 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2014 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
yes, thats the only time,and the defroster was just a fuse, was burnt out replaced, has nothing to do with this, where do thry hide the brain modules in pt cruisers? i want to be sure of model, numbers off kep wont help, would they?
2005 pt cruiser gt turbo
tommyblazin 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2014 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
sorry, numbers off key
2005 pt cruiser gt turbo
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2014 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  
If theres a siren under the hood its going to be a 5103 or if its an older unit a 4400. Is your key grey or black? If its grey and it only starts with the key in the ignition its not a problem with the remote start but with the bypass module. If the key has to be in and on then it sounds like a bad connection on the ignition wire. Do all the dash lights come on when you remote start and no key in the ignition?
tommyblazin 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2014 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
you are 100% right it is a grey key, siren under hood by driver seat close to window,and i went to alarm /rim/stereo shop yesterday, the tech opened the pop down panel under steering column and found a grey and white wire spliced and just hanging there off a relay perhaps? ill link a pic, any how the tech was awesome, than the owner came out, the guy was literally only looking at car for 3 min went ti grab a screwdriver to open steering column as he said brain is in there, and owner came out and said i need a new system BLAH blah blah 600$ but alarm works perfect, car does start with key in it, than the tech said ii needed the bypass you mentioned than the owner proceeded to say its 175 plus install i saw the look on techs face thinking its priced high, these guys do bently's all high end cars, so i'm a nobody to them, and they think everyone walking threw the doors is stacked with money, well if he would of let tech open steering column i was prepared to let them install a system and rim package, i had 5k on me,which wouldn't get me much in that shop, but if they treated me right i would of went with them, after-all there's always 100k plus cars sitting out front, so they have to be doing something right?i walked instead, i didn't like the attitude, that's not how you service a customer,i'm in business i cant imagine being that abrupt and still having work the next day anyhow,they think its old and possibly had a third key under in the column area to recognize code?if that makes sense,let me get you a pic, also should i open the column and see whats there, possibility i can take my spare place under car with the magnet holder deal, and that would work as intended? i need advise and you seem to know your stuff, i really appreciate it if anyone lives in bergen county n.j. drop me a line and i'll give you the job!!or ill attempt myself if easy enough i heard the bypass has like 30 wires, but you don't use them all,i'm hoping hooking that spliced cable up and a key would do it, that's obliviously the break, but i mentioned that there's been a handfull of times the auto start worked with hood open and close????so i'm lost, off to pics i talk alot..i will post when it hits my email, i don't know why its taking so long i've been waiting 30 min and sent to 3 different emails,lol gotta love apple
2005 pt cruiser gt turbo
tommyblazin 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2014 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  
btw which unit is it by the description? thankyou
2005 pt cruiser gt turbo
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2014 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
The 5103 and 4400 are visually identical except for the actual model number stamped into the brain. I'm guessing there is already a key in a box or bypass module of some type installed in the vehicle. Its 100% necessary to have one or the other to allow the remote start to work. It would be ridiculous to install that system without the remote start portion connected. Its a waste. Take the shroud off around the steering column and look for a wire or loomed wire wrapped around the ignition cylinder close to the end where the key goes in. More than likely held in place with a zip tie or electrical tape. Also, try to trace the wire that "appears to have fallen off a relay" before you connect it to anything. Its virtually impossible for a wire to fall off a relay unless its come out of the crimp terminal. Post the pics when you can and any info on that loose wire and where it goes. As far as the hood open/closed, more than likely the system was installed without a hood pin. Either that or the hood pin is corroded to the point where it doesnt function properly.
tommyblazin 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2014 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=blanx218] The 5103 and 4400 are visually identical except for the actual model number stamped into the brain. I'm guessing there is already a key in a box or bypass module of some type installed in the vehicle. Its 100% necessary to have one or the other to allow the remote start to work. It would be ridiculous to install that system without the remote start portion connected. Its a waste. Take the shroud off around the steering column and look for a wire or loomed wire wrapped around the ignition cylinder close to the end where the key goes in. More than likely held in place with a zip tie or electrical tape. Also, try to trace the wire that "appears to have fallen off a relay" before you connect it to anything. Its virtually impossible for a wire to fall off a relay unless its come out of the crimp terminal. Post the pics when you can and any info on that loose wire and where it goes. As far as the hood open/closed, more than likely the system was installed without a hood pin. Either that or the hood pin is corroded to the point where it doesnt function properly.[/QSO
so i don't need a bypass module? its probably those 2 wires that were hanging in the panel that drops down under wheel, grey and white wire, they look to be coming from a relay of some type ill try again tyo get pics up, for some reason my phones not sending them??
2005 pt cruiser gt turbo
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic