icon

need schematics interpreted

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ronemca 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2014 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
My DRL's are activated by releasing the parking brake.
I wish to take control of my headlight system using the normal OE rotary switch on the IP (and therefore gain the option of bypassing the DRL system whenever I feel like it)
My parking brake has a reminder chime (and a cluster light) to prevent me driving away with the brake on.
I successfully bypassed the momentary switch on the parking brake lever which did allow me to operate the headlights with the IP switch...but the stupid reminder chime rang non-stop (and of course the cluster light came on)
I want to introduce a relay and a switch that will provide me the option of bypassing the automatic DRL circuitry...feeding power directly to the headlight switch when the brake is off...AND deactivating the reminder chime (and - hopefully - the cluster light as well)
I have obtained detailed schematics of the relevant wiring and SJB hook-ups in the vehicle...but they are a little over my head. However I fully expect that several of the sharp people in this forum will be able to make short work of these drawings...and counsel me as to how/where to introduce the additional components.
Please PM me if you think you can help, and I will send you the scans.
Many thanks!
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2014 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
Any updates?
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2014 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  

With an inestimable degree of assistance (and patience) from the above...I am slowly seeing the light. My learned colleague probably finds this sort of thing as easy as I find setting up a fly-barred RC helicopter head, but since I am less familiar with the relays and the "if-then-otherwise' way of routing the 12v power...I am struggling with it.

Stay tuned! A solution seems imminent!

skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2014 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
What kind of vehicle is this? Make/Model/Year
there can be only one.......
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2014 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  

2011 Ranger. Halogen...no Autolamp feature. Parking brake is foot pedal-actuated.

ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2014 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  
With overwhelming patience, M. Ween has helped me to comprehend the complexities of this adventure. A schematic has been agreed upon... (okay - I translated his stick-drawing-in-the-sand to a straight-lines-and-right-angles-with-multiple-glorious-colours masterpiece) and it looks like it will be excellent.
In light of the flavour of my posts, it would be logical for the reader to conclude that I intend to get this together immediately. While I am certainly eager...life continues to interfere with my plans. As such, it will be awhile before I triumphantly return with a "Eureka! It works!" -type follow up. But indeed I shall do so.
Meanwhile, I am profoundly grateful for his knowledge and assistance, and wanted to say so in the most public manner available.
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2014 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
Follow up:
It works! I wish I could take the credit for solving the riddle, but that credit -- and my very, very genuine appreciation -- goes to M. Ween. I have been pestering him with rudimentary questions and running the logic past his practised ear so as to reduce the chances of reducing my truck to a smoking crater in the driveway...and it all bore fruit this afternoon.
AFTER verifying the set-up worked, I made one silly error when I swapped two pairs of connectors. Luckily that resulted in a no-work situation as opposed to a sparks and fire situation, but once I'd changed those four spades back to how they were in the first place...I was golden.
I can't tell you how IMMENSELY GRATIFYING this is. And even though I did the dangerous part...my oh-so-patient advisor did the lion's share for sure.
Thank you, Sir.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2014 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
You're welcome.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2014 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
Congrats to you both! need schematics interpreted -- posted image. need schematics interpreted -- posted image. need schematics interpreted -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic