5 pin relay to light strip

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jamesrsanders 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2014 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
OK where do i start. I have a toyota corolla that i have an alarm. what i want to do is i have a led strip i want to add some how, the strip to the alarm via a ralay that i have on hand or by any other means. i want to make the relay turn on a device when the car is turned off. i have played with this for over a week now... thanks in advance.
james
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2014 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  

If by "car off" you mean they key is not in the accessory or run position, then connect a relay as follows to switch 12V+ on when the ignition switch is in the off position.

85 to accessory 12V+

86 to ground
87a to constant 12V+
30 to what is you want to supply 12V+ when the key is off
87 not used, insulate

Warning! Connecting a relay like this can drain your battery enough to prevent you from starting the vehicle in as little as a day.

I'd need to know more about the LED strip you have, but if it may be possible to just connect the negative side to the GWA (ground while armed) output of the alarm and the other side to 12V+. This would be the preferred method, if possible.

5 pin relay to light strip - Last Post -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
jamesrsanders 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2014 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
OK, i will try this again, I have a toyota corolla s and i'm trying to add a light strip to the alarm system. I have tried to put red side to constant power and the ground side of the strip to the ground side of the wire going to the single led that came with the alarm and i get nothing.. So i'm wanting to use a relay it has red,black,white,blue and yellow i want to wire this to turn on when the car is off or when the alarm is armed either or.....Thanks in advance
james
jamesrsanders 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2014 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
I have tried this with no luck, this would be the way i would like to do it but it does not work... I have a clifford remote start and alarm it has a blue and red wire for the oem light in my dash...if you could tell me what i'm doing wrong i would be greatful..
james
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2014 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
You do not want to tie into the LED output from the alarm. You need the negative output when armed lead. What Clifford alarm do you have? The more information you provide us, the easier it is to help you.
5 pin relay to light strip - Last Post -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
jamesrsanders 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2014 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry.. it's a 5000 series remote and alarm system model adss5003 start smart.
james
jamesrsanders 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2014 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
OK i got it.. It was the orange wire. you gave me the idea and thank you.. when you said negative when armed i looked it up and found out it's not the led wires.. But now i think i might have a problem... the alarm sets off after 5 mins armed....I will find the problem and fix it i hope but again thank you
james
howie (aka: harryharris)
Silver - Posts: 355
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2014 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
Clifford LED are about 21/2 volts so without a resistor you might have blown it.
Test before boxing up.
howie (aka: harryharris)
Silver - Posts: 355
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2014 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
This is the way without an alarm:-
Buy a 12 VOLT flashing LED from Radio Shack etc.
Neg wire to the ignition, pos to a constant 12V+ source.
No relay required; will be on until you turn the key.
Test before boxing up.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic