icon

bench testing new radio how to

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rickbryan 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2014 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
I bought a Pioneer radio (DEH-X6600BT) brand new and I just wanted to see it power on before I attempted installation, so in my home I used my portable auto jump starter as a 12 volt power supply, and hooked the radio harness black wire to the negative clamp of the jump starter, and the yellow wire from the harness to the red clamp of the jump starter; verified I had 12 volts with my multimeter, yet the radio would not power on. No other connections were made, but I'm thinking the radio should at least power on. Am I wrong about this? I must be missing something obviously. Power and ground; what else could the radio need?
Richard
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 10, 2014 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
You have to connect the radio's red wire with the yellow wire.
rickbryan 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2014 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you very much.
So it's the red wire and not the yellow which is the true power which operates the radio; while the yellow constant 12 volt keeps the memory and clock of the radio. I get it. But why is the yellow wire so much more of a heavier gauge wire than the red? That I don't get.
Anyway, thanks so much. I though my radio was dead on arrival and it powered right up when I connected the red and yellow.
Richard
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2014 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
im pretty sure the red wire only switches the radio on and the actual power to run the radio is pulled from the yellow ... AND the yellow keeps the memory stuff when the radio is off too.
back in the old days red turned on and powered and yellow wa sonly memory. not any more.
yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic