icon

wiring up my hei '74 401 cherokee

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
berettajeep 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
Well I messed up somewhere....wiring up my hei '74 401 cherokee - Page 3 -- posted image.
Hooked up everything and tried starting it but it did not start. Checked everything, made sure I was on #1 TDC and everything, still only turns over but does not fire.
Then I noticed one of the posts ( "S" or "I", I don't remember for sure) on my starter solenoid was loose, so I tightened it. After that I tried to start again. Still did not start but after I put the Key in the off position, the motor kept turning over very slowly.
So I quickly remove the negative battery cable and use my volt meter and sure enough I have 12 volts coming out of every post on the starter solenoid.
wiring up my hei '74 401 cherokee - Page 3 -- posted image. Not cool.
Thinking maybe I messed up something internally on the solenoid when I tightened up the post, so I switched it out with another I have. Still getting 12 volts out every post.
So back to the drawing board. It is something so simple that I am not seeing or something I messed up. Need to step back for a moment to re think.
berettajeep 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2014 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
Okay here is the actual wiring diagram, not my drawing wiring up my hei '74 401 cherokee - Page 3 -- posted image.
Here is what it is originally:
wiring up my hei '74 401 cherokee - Page 3 -- posted image.
Here is what I did:
Original:
What I did.
I changed the wiring diagram to reflect what I did to my Jeep.
To recap:
#12 wire originally went to the back of the alternator, it now goes to a circuit breaker on the battery side of the starter solenoid.
A 1 gauge battery cable now goes from the back of the alternator to the battery.
Wire #55 I completely removed. It went from the battery side on the solenoid to the amp gauge. I removed the amp gauge,it is now a volt meter. Wire #12 connects to the positive and the negative is grounded on the volt meter.
I removed #42 wire that went from the "S" on the starter solenoid to the positive side of the coil. ( Coil was removed )
From the bulkhead connector #13A, The wire splits and one becomes #38 which is a resistance wire (20 gauge). It then goes back into a 14 gauge (Wire #13) which I connected to #85 on a 30 amp relay. I have a 12 gauge wire coming from the battery side of the starter solenoid to a circuit breaker to #30 on the relay. #86 is grounded and # 87 goes to the batt. side of the Distributor (12 gauge wire)
All 4 battery cables are 1 gauge. Negative cable grounds the the motor and also the body.
With only the positive battery cable connected to the battery, I use my volt meter
My problem is the starter solenoid has 12 volts coming out all posts. ("S"; "I", and starter side)
I am requesting help, because I can't see why this is happening ( I am an amateur though.)
berettajeep 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2014 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
You can click on the pictures to enlarge them.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2014 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
All looks ok except for your 30A CB on #12. Since #12 carries current for every load on the vehicle (except the starter-motor, 30A isn't enough. Plus it's dangerous - it'll take out your lights as well...
Leave it as it was - no electrical protection.
I assume the HEI relay clicks when you turn on the IGN?
I might find something else later, but let's eliminate the tripping of the #12 30A breaker.
berettajeep 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2014 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
All looks ok except for your 30A CB on #12. Since #12 carries current for every load on the vehicle (except the starter-motor, 30A isn't enough. Plus it's dangerous - it'll take out your lights as well...
I might find something else later, but let's eliminate the tripping of the #12 30A breaker.
I am not sure if it clicks. The problem right now is I am getting 12 volts out of every post on the starter solenoid.
Things I did today:
I removed the aftermarket radio. Previous owner wired it with two fuses in a row.....Don't ask I have no idea why.
I removed the electric brake for a trailer.
Also removed a few other wires that were spliced into the factory harness.
Still getting 12 volts out of all the starter solenoid posts.
I disconnected everything from the starter solenoid except the positive cable from the battery, the cable from the alternator and the cable to the starter, still 12 volts from every post.
I removed the cable from the alternator and the battery side of the solenoid had 12 volts (11.86 volts to be exact) and the remaiming posts each had 0.50 volts.
berettajeep 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2014 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
Okay had a moment to work on the Jeep. I replaced the starter solenoid, ignition switch (Cleaned the original but replacements are not that expensive, also gave me a reason to clean up the wire connections.) and the key switch ( which was worn.)
As is, it does nothing when I turn the key. ( I also removed the 30 amp breaker and it made no difference.)
I removed wire 40 from the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid and when I turn the key it clicks. Battery is at 12 volts. 12 volts going to the relay and 12 going to the HEI when I turn the key but nothing else.
berettajeep 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
Well when checking the battery for 12 volts, also make sure it has the CCA....
Took the battery to work and put it on the charger all day. Brought it home and it started right up. Only thing is my alternator is not charging. I am upgrading it to one with an internal regulator that also puts out more amps.
Thanks to only who commented on this.
Also my headlights are on there own C.B. My headlight switch only controls the relays now.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic