icon

one button push button start relay system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ucfbaseball24 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2014 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
I've been doing research on this for over 3 months. I didn't pay much attention in my college physics 2 class so advanced relay schematics aren't exactly my specialty.
I know there are TONS of threads on this topic and trust me, I've read through nearly all of them, not only on this site but many others as well.
To get to my question, I need help building a schematic for a one button push button start system. My car is a 2000 Toyota Celica and I have an rfid system in it as well as my homemade 2 button push to start system.
one button push button start relay system - Last Post -- posted image.
That (^) is my current setup right now, it's simple, I just use a switch to control the ground for the IG1, IG2, and ACC relays and then the momentary push button controls the starter. I also incorporated my rfid's starter kill as well as the brake wire into my starter relay.
What I'm wanting to do is use the latching on/off relay diagram from this site to create a one button push to start system that will turn the acc/ign on with one push, another push will start the car and a third push will turn the acc/ign off. I'd incorporate my rfid starter kill output by using a normally closed relay that would provide the ground to the other relays when the system is disarmed and then would remove the ground when the system is armed. The thing I'm having trouble with is how to add the additional starter control feature to the same button in this diagram.
Thanks for any help you guys may be able to provide
Brandon
ucfbaseball24 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2014 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
I have everything I need (I think) except for the diodes. I don't know exactly what kind I would need. But right now, I have 6 SPDT relays with harnesses, soldering iron, solder, extra wire, push button, etc. I just need the brain power to add in the starter control feature.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2014 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
Have you looked at this diagram from the same "special applications" relay schematics?
There's a lot going on in this circuit. But there are two things you can use:
"Activate remote start" trigger holds the starter engaged for as long as the (-) input is applied.
The "accy 1 and 2" relays are DE-energized during cranking. You may not need this, and one relay can be eliminated. But the same 'button push' that activates the starter, also turns on IGN and ACCY.
This circuit has two different triggers. One to activate, and one to deactivate it. The latch on, latch off circuit you found above has 2 relays that 'flop' the single input between 'on' and 'off'. These are the right hand two relays in the diagram. It would be simple to incorporate the 'flip flop' relays into the latching 'remote start' array.
The one thing I haven't mentioned is a button-activated "ACCY" position. Perhaps a hidden switch for ACCY-only for the occasions you want to listen to the radio with the engine off.
Study these circuits. I think you will easily figure out how to make what you want from the pair of circuits.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2014 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
ucfbaseball24 wrote:
The thing I'm having trouble with is how to add the additional starter control feature to the same button in this diagram.
I was looking at this again today. I see something very simple. I don't know how to draw and post diagrams like others can, so I just have to give a description.
To add Starter Engagement, add another relay to the toggle-on, toggle-off array. Wire as follows:
85 - #86 on left-most relay in the array
86 - Hot at all times
87 - To starter (before neutral safety switch)
30 - Hot at all times.
The first button push energizes the "12 V Output" and engages the starter for as long as the button is pushed. When the button is released, the array toggles. The next button push removes power from "12 V output", and when released, the array toggles to the 'start' position. Rinse and repeat.
You could put a Resistance/Capacitance network in series in the first 85 to 86 wire to add a delay before the starter engages after the button is pushed. This would add an "Ign/Accy" feature. A brief push would turn on the Ign. Hold it longer, and the starter then engages.
ucfbaseball24 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2014 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
I know there has to be a way to add to this circuit to make it do what I want.
What I'm looking to do is with only 1 momentary button:
1st press, IG and ACC are turned on
2nd press (and hold), IG and ACC stay on and the holding in controls the starter
3rd press turns IG and ACC off
I'd also like to encorporate my alarms starter kill wire and the brake pedal switch for the starting feature if possible.
I don't want to use an outside device (like the directed units) since I already have a bunch of latching and 5 prong relays. Ideally I would like it to act as stated above, however I would settle for the latching relay with another relay for the starter that works off the same switch but has an on delay. So I would have to hold the button for a second before it allows the button to crank the starter but would have also already turned the acc and ig on. This would also allow me to tap the button for acc and tap it again to turn it off and never have to crank the car.
I'd ideally like the first but the second will work , just don't know how to accomplish it with relays, resistors and capacitors. Too bad I didn't pay attention in physics 2 or intro to EE.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic