icon

rv landing leg control

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jimomartin 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2014 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 landing legs on the front of my RV. They are operated independently by 2 momentary switches. Hold the switch in one direction to move the leg up or in the other direction to move it down.
I would like to have another switch, which would operate both legs at the same time (easier on the hands trying to hold both switches at once). Both legs have a 30a fuse. I believe I could use a couple of relays to achieve this but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to wire them.
Suggestions? Thanks for your help.
- Jim
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 01, 2014 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
How many terminals are there on each of the switches?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2014 at 2:13 AM / IP Logged  
If three terminals on each switch you should simply be able to wire the outers together, BUT don't you need to control the legs independently?
jimomartin 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2014 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
The current switches are DPDT On-Off-On style (6 terminals). They effectively reverse the polarity of the power going to the leg motor allowing for up and down movement.
Yes, the current switches allow for independent movement of the legs. I would like to keep those but add one more switch that would operate both legs simultaneously once I have each leg in the right position.
Hopefully I'm making sense. :-)
- Jim
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2014 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
Don't think your idea is doable unless you use a SPCO (3 terminal) switch going to a ground source. I'm busy until Sunday my time (GMT) then I'll try and work out a circuit.
Top of my head, you'll need 4 relays!
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2014 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
Do the switches have current ratings on them? Does the motor wiring rest at open (no connection to power or ground) in the off position?
A 4PDT center-off switch (mom-off-mom) could be wired in parallel to the existing switches. Problem would be find a switch with the current capability that may be needed. 4 SPDT relays, used in pairs, wired to reverse polarity, the existing switches, and a DPDT center-off (mom-off-mom) can be wired to the functions desired.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2014 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
Exactly Mr. Ween, I had tunnel vision on not thinking of 4 pole changeover but it was past midnight my time.
jimomartin 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2014 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
I'll run by the trailer and pull the ratings off the switches. I'll also determine the connection status when the switch is in the middle/resting position. Thanks again for your help.
- Jim
jimomartin 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2014 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
I finally got the info you guys requested. The current switches do shut off power and ground to the motors in the center (off) position. The switches are rated for 30a (probably a little higher) and they have a 30a slow-blow fuse wired in-line going to each.
Would love to see a potential wiring diagram. Once again, thanks for your help.
- Jim
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2014 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
rv_001.jpg
if someone would to clean up the scan, go at it.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic