icon

you may need a new installer if...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 07, 2014 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
if this is what it looks like behind your radio.
you may need a new installer if... - Page 2 -- posted image.
series vii 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2014 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
DIY car audio on a serious budget...
Guy walks into the shop yelling the woofers he bought were sh$$ and he wanted his money back. We walked out to his car. And yes the woofers did sound like crap. On the floor of the trunk were the two Rockford woofers he bought in their original boxes with holes punched through for the speaker wires. This was the second time I had seen this done. The other time someone took the time to cut out holes for the woofers in the cardboard.
The speaker wires were a combination orange extension cord, sold Romex building wire and two coat hangers. Next hanging from the rear view was a PA speaker from a drive thru or a warehouse. Didn't see the amp. On the passenger's seat was an old boom box with a cable from the headphone jack (most likely going to the amp)and a crappy microphone plugged in. He was using the mic to pick up audio from the speaker on his cell phone. Guess he gets points for ingenuity. The hole in the dash for the stock radio was filled with empty cig boxes and some nasty cologne.
The shop gave him store credit for the woofers which he used to buy 6 pairs of tweeters. I moved but the guys still see him around town occasionally minus the pa horn hanging, doesn't mean it's been eliminated! Just when you think you've seen it all . . .
'14 F-150 Platinum.
Not giving up my class A/B yet...
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2014 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
That's exactly what my 84 Camaro looked like when I bought it. Kid had put a radio in and it kept blowing the tail light fuse. Sold the car because he couldn't figure it out. It had duct tape on the dimmer wire and was shorting out.
Duct tape conducts electricity...at least well enough to blow a fuse.
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2014 at 4:31 AM / IP Logged  
I was going to comment about the wiring... Like, what's wrong with it? Well, not that mine has as many "flying" individual wires, but the proliferation of wires UNDER my Alpine and along the SIDES of my engine bay seems to alarm some. (But they are all fused; they have proven reliable, and my present vehicle has been a test bed for various innovations, plus upgrades to 1965 vintage vehicles.)
I didn't realise duct tape conducts. Thanks racerjames for the heads up.
And I agree with DYohn - the stories are classic!
(As a mate would say, "It's so unbelievable that I still don't believe it". Tho I believe it/them, I just fail to understand how they.... !)
Alas not being "in the game" like you guys, I feel so unworthy, and the best I can do is stuff you've probably already read on this forum - like audioforummers that place their extra batteries in the engine bay to gain extra capacity.
Of course there was the guy that tipped his flat wet-cell battery upside-down to try to extract the last electron to crank his car (an old VW beetle), but since I was the guy that suggested he do that...
Like seriously, is it really my fault that some people fail to understand my humour?
(Yes!)
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2014 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
IAAI, i totally agree. i honestly thing these bad DYI installs are even worse in the south especially around here where everybody is on a serious budget and everybody is just dumb enough to try to do it themselves. let me delve into my archives for a second...
this is the power wire of an amp just wrapped around and taped to the main 12v constant in the ignition harness
speakers installed directly into the rear seats. all they did was cut holes into the cushions and expect them to stay there.
wiring insulated with hot glue, that way when the wire gets hot it will eventually just melt off and expose the wire
speaking of amps grounded to the trunk lid... this is a whole system grounded to a trunk lid with a bolt and nut in between as a distribution block...
a VHS tape player installed in a camaro just sitting on the hatch lid. its a VHS player for a house so there were multiple adapters used to change over from the co-axial signal cable to an RCA for video on an old flip-out tv with like a 3 inch screen...
dont worry about that tire sitting directly on the sub while its playing because thats what the warranty is for right?
keep in mind that somebody actually paid to have this done to a brand new southern comfort edition silverado
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2014 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
Wheres the like button?
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 16, 2014 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2014 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
...if all he keeps talking about is bass...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2014 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
...if all he keeps talking about is bass...
...or the chrome on the amplifier.
Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 01, 2014 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
Don't forget about the Chrome Flames.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic