icon

'86 honda civic si fan wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2014 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
LOL - me too - MS Paint. Hence the reason I haven't done any drawings since my upgrade from Windoze 2000 to 7 last year. MS Draw was so much easier to use.
I do have other packages for circuit diagrams etc but rarely use them...
Thanks for the appreciation.
geezrx 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2014 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
Back again and hoping to get some advice on an upgrade to this setup. Everyone was so helpful with past information! The setup that exists is as shown previously in the post and here again for convenience:
'86 honda civic si fan wiring - Page 2 -- posted image.
The OEM fan is failing and never did provide enough airflow to effectively cool the system properly so I have now replaced the old radiator with a new all aluminum one and have mounted dual Flex-a-Lite fans (8a draw each and wired in parallel) and want to incorporate them into the existing wiring scheme shown above. The "fuse 13" is 15a. I'd appreciate input on how to best alter this setup, if necessary, to accommodate the new fans. Thanks in advance for the response!
Skip
Skip
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2014 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I'd modify the wiring as follows...
   Convert manual override switch to switch a ground;
     Term B...ground, Term E...ignition, Term D...switched ground out.
   Rewire and add an additional relay for fans, one relay per fan
    (coils in parallel);
     Term 30...battery power fused (15-20A),
     Term 87...fan positive, ground negatives,
     Term 86...fuse 13 (switched power),
     Term 85...negative from override switch and fan thermo switch.
   Each relay switches one fan. The thermo switch only carries relay
   coil current increasing its reliability.
Mark
geezrx 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2014 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the response WEEN! Well, I don't know if I've got it or not but after cogitating on it a bit I put together this new schematic -
If I'm pumpin' swamp water here don't hesitate to tell me...It's always a struggle for me but once it gels in my head I can typically get the job done! Can't at this point say for certain that the "gel" mightn't actually be "mush" but hopefully I'm in the vicinity? If this IS the ticket to allowing the simple thermostatic switch to cycle the fans automatically AND allow me to cycle them manually if I feel the need, while insuring that the circuits are correctly wired for safety and long term reliability...Great! Once again, I sure appreciate the information and help!
Skip
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2014 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
You're close, have the thermo switch have ground on one side instead of the switched power and you're good.   The thermo switch is already set up from the factory to supply the ground you need.
geezrx 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2014 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
Since it hasn't gelled (obviously!) I guess I took your statement...
"Term 85...negative from override switch and fan thermo switch."
too literally? My next assumption will be:
Sorry, I'm sure it's frustrating for you who are proficient in this magic to deal with those of us who aren't ! I again, really appreciate your time and patience.
Skip
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2014 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
One of the first pictures you posted is kind of misleading. The thermal switch at the bottom of the relay grounds the coil of the fan relay. It is showing you the contacts within that relay which when the thermal switch grounds and energizes the relay, then the contacts shown on the picture provide the high current needed to spin the fan.
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2014 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
Close again, the '+' lead of the thermo switch connects to term 85 of the relays, not term 86. The thermo and override switches are to be wired in parallel.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2014 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
E on switch to 12v. B on switch to Ground. D on switch to the wire on the thermal switch. If you do not want it to illuminate when the thermal switch turns it on, you will need to put a diode on the wire between the new switch and the thermal switch.
geezrx 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  
To Ween and i am an idiot...thank you both for your immense patience!! I think (I hope) that the "ground switched devices" concept (right?) is just beginning to gel...sorta. Hope "3rd times a charm" and latest scheme is correct?
If I follow correctly what you're saying iaai, the override switch light will energize anytime the fans are running without the addition of a diode. If correct, that's actually desirable as then either way it will let me know that the fans are either cycling (thermo switch mode) or on continuous (manual switch mode).
Skip
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic