icon

'86 honda civic si fan wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 2:42 AM / IP Logged  
Actually I've been looking at this and I believe you can eliminate the relays, just take the blue wire between fan and thermal sensor and ground it.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 4:40 AM / IP Logged  
Hi Howie,
The reasoning behind the relays is to allow the switches to carry less current, increasing their reliability, as well as limiting voltage drop issues by being in closer proximity to the loads and source. No high current wiring to the override switch. The dual relay setup allows one system (fan, relay, associated high current wiring) to possibly fail while not affecting the other, affording the vehicle some cooling while at slower speeds. Also the independent relays to each fan will appreciate switching a lighter load.
Hope this explains my circuitry changes.
Mark
p.s....too early here, shouldn't be awake for another hour.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  
Points taken, it's just that a million years ago we pulled this stunt on Jensen Interceptors, seem to remember just a green Hella pull switch and some wiring.
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
Would a Jensen have Lucas 'prince of darkness' wiring?
geezrx 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
Speaking of "prince of darkness" wiring...my first two vehicles were Austin Healey 3000's with Lucas electrical systems...hmmm, maybe I see some deep seated issues relating to my lifelong lack of comprehension of electrical problems! I've always had a suspicion that electricity and it's use is one of the "Black Arts" '86 honda civic si fan wiring - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image. '86 honda civic si fan wiring - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
And so Great Wizards...any comments on my third try at getting a working schematic to go by, as posted on bottom of previous page?
Skip
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
Oh yes hemi engine and Chrysler gearbox, aluminium body, built in the UK. Mopar engine bay wiring into Lucas interior wiring. Jaguar switches, Smiths gauges, at least Smiths got out of that market, now US based and make the displays for most US aircraft.
Also first non SUV with 4 wheel drive and first vehicle with ABS.
At 130 + you could watch the fuel gauge needle moving!
PS Lucas now make the injectors for most diesel vehicles, e.g. Mercedes.
Most of the wiring looms nowadays come from China with locally made AMP or Molex connectors.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
Let me demolish some myths! Any British sports car actually any British car from the 60s was a POS on all bar brakes and suspension.
Probably the world's worst build quality with the world's best suspension, just about every modern car suspension can be traced back to MacPherson's work for Ford UK or Colin Chapman's work (Lotus).
The current myth is VW reliability, can I tell you stories there.
Insisting on coil packs with cheaper insulation, next queues of Audis awaiting rescue, Mercedes, 98-05 shoving the gearbox oil cooler rad into the water rad then announcing it was the fault of ZF.
And as for the build quality of US vehicle interiors....
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
The last schematic/diagram is all good.
geezrx 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2014 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks again for the patient help and directions! About mid morning today, as I sat looking at the last schematic I rendered in the wee hours of the morning...the light came on...I could see how it all worked. Putting together a supplies list now to get the necessary items and get this project behind me. This is a great forum with helpful, knowledgeable folks!
Skip
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic