icon

turn signals

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bklyn300 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2014 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so i been trying to figure something that seems simple out and cant seem to do so. i bought a strobe kit from the local auto store, its 12v 4 output wires each output has a + and - wire so you can hook up four strobe lights. what i want to do and im sure there is a way to do it is hook the strobe box up my turn signals.. at the very least the front ones if i can do all 4 that would be fine also... What i would like is the blinkers to work normal when turning BUT if i turn on the strobe control box they will strobe like it should. how can i do this. from what a few people told me the front blinkers have 3 wires. a ground,parking,and turn wire. If anyone can help me out with this that would be great
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2014 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
You'd probably need relays, but you'll have to specify which you want to override the other.
And I assume your front & rear turn signal lights are LEDs?
bklyn300 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2014 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
The fronts are led even if i cna just have the fronts strobe that would be fine, and i guess when i have the strobe control box on it should override the turn signals
powerslave 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2014 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
I had the guy here design a circuit for this YEARS ago when I asked about it, it is like using cornering lights with a pulsed output. You need a relay, resister, and a capacitor.
The CAP holds a charge while the signals are on, to keep the relay
latched with the pulse of the signals. Then, when you turn the signals off, the resistor bleeds of the capacitor to unlatch the relay.
This way, you have constant source being fed by the votage of off/on source, using the CAP to keep the power level high enough to keep the relay latched.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2014 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
Ah - but he wants strobe to override the turn signals. (That's probably illegal for road use.)
Anyhow, no point strobing bulbs, and they are likely to overload most strobe units.
So, for the fronts, the easiest of one SPDT relay per side with 87 from the strobe & 87a from the flasher circuit, and 30 to the LEDs.
The relay is activated by the switch that turns on the strobe.
Hence flashers are normally connected thru to the LEDs.
When the strobe is turned on, the relay flips BOTH side's LEDs to the strobe.
bklyn300 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2014 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
yea for road use it would be but they are being used for shows/events and while travailing in convoy for events. Plus im nypd so i dont need to worry about that, was just hoping i could hook this simple stroke hit i bought to the blinkers, i didnt pay alot for the kit seeing im not using it for work or anything like that
bklyn300 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2014 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
turn signals - Last Post -- posted image.
turn signals - Last Post -- posted image.
this is what i have.. a simple strobe box, in the back it has 4 sets of wires each set has a neg and pos wire to you can hook up four nights
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2014 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
So it's not a common GND? Then my previous may not work.
Some strobes work using multiplexed signals - their GND is a part of that signal.
If it were common GND, another way is to connect it via a diode and insert a diode in the OEM flasher wire to the LED. That'll mean that the flasher will flash it on, but when not flashed on, the strobe will be lighting the LED.
You have to specify how the strobe works and is wired to its LEDs.
There was a thread maybe 12 months ago involving me that dealt with an issue like this; I'm pretty sure it is on the12volt... (else mp3car.com)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic