icon

used car with remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sidewinder4x4 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2014 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
My friend purchased a used 2007 Nissan Armada about a month ago and yesterday while I was looking it over, I determined it had an aftermarket remote starter system installed in it, which he was unaware of. It doesn't have any special key fob remote, just the factory Nissan style key fob. We tried various combination of button pushes, but were unsuccessful in starting the SUV. I did dig around and was able to find the components of the system, which are as follows:
DB-All Module
Directed 4x03 Module
HX Plus Antenna
The Install Bay 12V Relay
Here's what I do know about the system:
The Armada starts, runs, and drives fine.
The factory key fob remote will lock/unlock the doors fine and the panic button work.
No combination of buttons on the key fob will start the SUV.
No valet switch is installed.
No override switch found.
The LED doesn't blink or illuminate on the DB-All module at any point.
The LED doesn't blink or illuminate on the Directed 4x03 module at any point
I've checked the three fuses in the setup of the above devices and all of the normal mini fuses in the dash panel and under the hood and they all checkout good. My multi-meter indicates 12V on the harness that has two green fuses, but 0V on the harness with the single red fuse.
Does anyone have any advice why neither of these devices seem to be getting any power? I've never installed one of the systems before, but short of checking every connection for a solid connection, I'm not sure where to start. Could the two modules be faulty? Is a special remote necessary?
Thanks for any help or advice with this issue!
pentavolvo 
Copper - Posts: 241
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2014 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds to me Iike you need a remote
sidewinder4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2014 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Do you think it's that simple? Shouldn't the LED's on one of the module's blink or something when you use the factory key fob or even turn the ignition to ACC, ON, or even start it?
If you still think all I need is a remote, do you know which one I need?
Thanks!
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2014 at 6:18 AM / IP Logged  

A lot of times the used car dealer will not mention an aftermarket R/S system.  They will just throw away the remotes.  They don't want the liability of an unknown, non-factory system.

Depending on how the installer flashed / programmed and wired up the DB-ALL bypass module and if the R/S is a 4103 model, you could try a 4 button remote.

It's worth the $15 investment.  Do an EBay search on the remotes FCC ID number :  EZSDEI474S       There are many styles of this remote that DEI made over the years.  Remote pairing is pretty simple and described in the Avital 4103 Install Guide available in the Downloads Section.  Check to see if the Valet/Programming button is connected to the R/S unit ( sometimes installers don't leave it behind after the install is completed ).

Soldering is fun!
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,424
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2014 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
You could also try tapping the WHITE/ blue wire (its in between the yellow and orange wires) coming off the 4103 module to ground and see if the truck starts up
Could be 1,2 or 3 taps depending on how it was set up
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
sidewinder4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2014 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
At this point I plan on trying what chev104275 suggested first about tapping the WHITE/ blue wire in the main harness to ground. If the SUV starts up, then I'm assuming everything else is working fine and all I'll need to do is order a new remote and valet switch to program the new remote. I'm hoping to do this Thursday afternoon, but if not it will be June 15th before I get a chance to try it again. Either way, I'll post back how this turns out and any issues along the way.
Thanks again everyone for all the help so far!
sidewinder4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2014 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
I finally got the opportunity to try out what chev104275 suggested, (tapping the WHITE/ blue wire to ground), and the SUV cranked, but never started. I think the crank time is set to short and needs adjusted after reading the manual, but since I don't have any remotes or the valet switch I wasn't able to adjust it. Does this seem reasonable?
Also, since he's wanting two remotes and needs the valet switch, were looking at going ahead and buying a complete kit for $43.00 on Amazon. The question I have is since we don't know the exact model # of his, if we buy say a Avital 4103LX and his is a Directed Electronics 4103 or 4103L, will the remotes still work fine or will we have to replace the 4103 unit also?
The item were looking at on eBay is:
Avital 4103LX Remote Start System with Two 4-Button Remote
Thanks again for everyone's help with this issue!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2014 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
All the 4103's are the same.
sidewinder4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2014 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
Update - I finally got a chance to dig into this again today, since my friend ordered and received the proper parts.
After programming the remotes, the SUV cranked, but never started. I tried reprogramming the cranking time on the 4103 to a longer interval, but that didn't do anything at all. I then looked at the diagnostic code per the manual and it indicated "Low or No RPM". Then, by pure accident, I left the key in the ignition and pressed the remote start button and the SUV started right up.
What I'm thinking now is that the DB-All has lost its programming...especially since the door lock/unlock doesn't work properly either. Does this seem accurate? If so, all I need to do is buy the XKLOADER2 and get the proper firmware from the XpressKit website and install it to the DB-All...correct?
Thanks for any feedback with this issue!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2014 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, exactly that initially.
Does the LED on the DB-ALL flash green when you turn on the ignition?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic