the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

used car with remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2014 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
If you re-flash the DB-ALL with the latest firmware for your vehicle using the XKLoader2 cable, double check all the module wiring.  It can change with newer firmware.  Down load the corresponding install guide and verify each wire connection.
Soldering is fun!
sidewinder4x4 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2014 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
The DB-All LED doesn't do anything when I push any of the remote buttons, turn the key, or crank the SUV. The only time I've seen the LED turn on is when I unplugged the 4-pin power connector from the DB-All. It turns Green, then goes off after three seconds. Also pressing the programming button makes it turn Amber, Red, and Green in different patterns.
In case it matters...initially, someone had zipped tied the blue harness connector on the DB-All, because it wasn't latching properly. If I unplugged the 4-pin power connector from the DB-All, then plugged it back in, the Green LED would turn green and stay on forever until I turned the key on. After I made the blue harness connector seat properly, the green light would go off after three seconds.
I'll definitely pay attention to the wiring changes with the newer firmware also.
Thanks everyone for your help with this!
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2014 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
Easiest thing would be to reset and try to reprogram the DB-All. Based on the outcome would determine next course of action which could be tracing/testing wires.
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
I'm thinking you need to put the 4103 in D2D mode.
See there are two ways to connect the DB-all to the 4103. Wire to wire or through D2D(A data connection). The 4103 was having a problem with the port where the DB-All's D2D plug would plug into to. That port on the 4103 is a dual function port. One function is to be used for D2D, the other is used for DEI's Programmer called a Bitwriter. It comes default out of the box to be used with the Bitwriter. You have to ground the WHITE/ blue wire while powering up the 4103 to change between the 2 functions. The directions will show you how to do this.
You can easily see if your DB-All is connected Wire to Wire or D2D by looking to see if you have a 4 pin red connector going from the DB-All to the 4103. If you do, switching the 4103's Data port function over to D2D should solve your problem as long as the DB-all is programmed to the car.
It seems to me that when you go to remote start it and the car is cranking and cranking but not starting, the car won't start because it hasn't seen a valid transponder signal and thinks its being stolen. The DB-all after being programmed to the car provides that signal. Thats why when you try to start it with the key sitting in the key cylinder it starts and runs. The car is seeing the transponder signal from the key at that point not from the DB-all.
The fact that the DB-all has no light going on when you activate the remote starter is that the DB-all is not getting the signal from the 4103 to send that transponder code. Thats what makes be think your DB-ALL is hooked up D2D and that the 4103's Data Port's function has not been changed to D2D.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
flobee4 wrote:
I'm thinking you need to put the 4103 in D2D mode.
From the Avital 4103 Installation Guide:
"The 4-pin red port is for interfacing with an XK module through D2D, or
you can use it for programming with the Bitwriter®.
If the XK module is unplugged so the port can be used for Bitwriter®
programming, you must unplug the heavy gauge 6 pin remote start
harness before reconnecting the xk module back in. Once the xk module
has been plugged in, reconnect the heavy gauge 6pin remote start
harness and proceed to reprogram the xk module."
sidewinder4x4 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2014 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
flobee4, the red 4-pin connector harness is coming out of the DB-All and going to the 4103, so it's wired for D2D as you mentioned. I will try what you suggested and switch modes as soon as I get a chance and update everyone on my progress.
Thanks for the replies and advice everyone!
flobee4 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2014 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
catback, thats from the older 4103 instruction manual. Thats when it used to switch between the 2 functions automatically. The "automatic" function was what they were having problems with, so they made it an installer option that you need to manually switch between.
The new 4103 had a quick reference page for installation instructions, not an installation book. The quick reference guide has the instructions for manually switching the functions. It definitely has to do with unplugging power, grounding the WHITE/ blue wire, and then plugging the power back in. You continue to hold the WHITE/ blue to ground while looking at the 4103's Red LED. The way it flashes tells you whether it is in D2D mode or ESP(Bitwriter)mode. I never use D2D, so I cannot tell you anymore than that. But I assure you, it will go something like that, as well as be in the quick reference quide.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2014 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
flobee4 wrote:
catback, thats from the older 4103 instruction manual. Thats when it used to switch between the 2 functions automatically. The "automatic" function was what they were having problems with, so they made it an installer option that you need to manually switch between.
The new 4103 had a quick reference page for installation instructions, not an installation book. The quick reference guide has the instructions for manually switching the functions. It definitely has to do with unplugging power, grounding the WHITE/ blue wire, and then plugging the power back in. You continue to hold the WHITE/ blue to ground while looking at the 4103's Red LED. The way it flashes tells you whether it is in D2D mode or ESP(Bitwriter)mode. I never use D2D, so I cannot tell you anymore than that. But I assure you, it will go something like that, as well as be in the quick reference quide.
Quite true but you have to remember and factor in this is a used car with an old pre-installed 4103 of unknown vintage. A full dei install guide was made in 2012 with the noted change in setting D2D mode, the 2008 install guide however still has the old method. Precisely when the change took effect I don't know but odds are the 4103 in this car doesn't go by the new method.
flobee4 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2014 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
catback is correct in if its an older unit. But previously the original poster said he just ordered a complete new 4103. Now there are chances that the person sent him older stock, but it has been like this for 2-3 years now. The way he will know if he has a unit that needs to be manually switched over to D2D is as stated above.
Quick reference guide in box = manually switched
Full instruction guide in box = Automatically switched(High failure rate for D2D usage) there is a work around to make that more stable if you have an older unit, which I doubt. If you do, you just de-pin your power and ground wires from the red 4 pin plug that goes to the older 4103, and get power and ground elsewhere.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
flobee4 wrote:
catback is correct in if its an older unit. .......
Full instruction guide in box = Automatically switched(High failure rate for D2D usage) there is a work around to make that more stable if you have an older unit, which I doubt.
Fair enough I glanced over the fact they bought an entire system but if my comprehension of english is still right they only did so for the two remotes and program/valet switch for a deal of $43 (cheaper than buying two remotes and a switch alone). That doesn't mean they installed the new system. It'd be helpful if OP's would be detailed and concise in what they have and haven't done.
If flobee4's train of logic is right, I don't see much issue follow the instructions for both the new 4103 and the dball. This essentially becomes a new install, wires are run but you (the installer) should know where and how they connect in YOUR system. Sounds like the hard way to go about it but when your unable to diagnose on the spot and have to pose questions to others it takes ALOT more time with all the unknowns and questions you don't instantly know the answers to.
So yeah I'm not sure of exactly where we stand so I'll just answer questions direct. The light on the dball should flash whenever you lock, unlock, open the trunk, or remote start the vehicle via 4103's remote if the dball is programmed and communicating with the nissan and the 4103. If it's not then you have a communication/programming issue. Seek flobee's post and the installation manuals for the given devices.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic