how do i light up subwoofers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fronzizzle 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2014 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
Hello all,
When it comes to LED's, I always thought that "see the light, not the lights" was a good motto. Do that end, I'm trying to figure out how one goes about installing LED lights around a speaker so that you see the light emitting, but not the bulbs themselves. I've search through hundreds of posts and pictures, either I can see the LED bulb or I can't see how it's built/mounted.
Since I'm starting with a flat MDF box, my thought is to have a ring made - almost like a reverse flush-mount ring - and mount that to the box, then mount the speaker to the ring, giving a small recessed area behind the edge of the speaker. See the drawing:
how do i light up subwoofers? -- posted image.
Where the arrow is pointing is where the lights would be mounted.
Is this the best way to do this? What are the downsides? As far as I can tell, the issues would be (1) would slightly increase the air chamber size (which is fine in my case) and (2) potentially weaken the structure as the speaker would have to be mounted to the ring and then the box instead of just going through the box.
Do you think this would work? If not, is there a better way of getting LED ribbon around a speaker?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2014 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Or cut a flat donut to cover the LEDs on the st'd ring?
fronzizzle 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2014 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure what you mean by cover on the standard ring. Are you saying to mount the speaker against the box, run the LED's around it and then put a ring on top of that? So instead of being speaker-ring-box, it would be ring-speaker-box? That might be a good alternative, would allow the speaker to seal tight against the box.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2014 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
I meant between the speaker and the ring... which is probably easier, tho your interpretation is an alternative.
If course that assumes the ring is thick enough for the lED strip.
Otherwise I thought the fabricated ring need simply be a spacing ring with the speaker mounting ring on top - as opposed to a both being fabricated as one piece.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic