led on switch turning off in on position

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shezza 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2014 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
Hi all,
I want to buy a 3 pin switch with an led.
I want the led to notify me that the switch is in the open position, not closed.
Any thoughts as how I would do this? Im stumped...
Im aware of how to do this with an external led, but unsure how to do it with a switch that has an internal led.
Thanks
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2014 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
Reconnect the LED's +12V from its present centre pin to the outer input +12V pin, then move its GND to the centre pin.
That should flatten a normal car battery after a week of few.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2014 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
Much simpler to leave the switch as is then no LED = off.
Plus no flatty batty. Peter why do people want to complicate things?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2014 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
Sometimes it's complicated situations. There are times I've wanted similar - not that I can thinks of an example ATM except for a night switch (find the switch to turn lights on).
Shezza's application might be f.ex when IGN is on to show the fuel or water pump is off. (Of course in normal cars both are automated.)
shezza 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2014 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Let me explain further...
I have installed a windows auto up module in my car. I want to install a cut off switch in case I want my windows to stay down on the odd occasion. Though I dont want to forget to re-enable it, that could turn out pretty bad. Thats why I want to be notified that the module is disconnected. I dont think Ill forget, but its not a risk I want to take.
And there will be no flat battery as the notification light will run off ACC power.
Very confused... you talk about moving pins. Though one pin is set at the + for the led, it is set. Then the other two are in and out. Out doubles up as the earth for the led.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2014 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
So similar to my 2nd example - ie, with IGN on you want to be notified by lit LED that you have manually disabled something.
By pins I mean move the LED's leads - strictly speaking one LED lead/wire and it's resistor's wire (ie, a 12V LED).
LED+ goes to (IGN) +12V and LED- to the load so the load grounds the LED.
When the switch is "on", the LED is shorted - ie +12V to LED-.
Normally LED- is to GND (hence the 3rd switch terminal if its SPST) with LED+ to the +12V switched output so it's on when the switch & output are on.
If you can't reposition the LEDs leads then it can't be done with that switch or LED unless it is an SPDT switch and you add a relay...
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2014 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  
Or simply add an normal on/off switch, you'll be able to see if the windows don't close.
Of course if this is in connection with an alarm, alarms with aux outputs can be modded such that you use the aux to close the windows.
shezza 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2014 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
Its a SPST switch. I guess I could add a SPDT relay, I could make that work. Was just looking for a more simple solution. Dont like over complicating thing even if some think I am complicating things.
I cant reposition the leads.
And the module puts the windows up one at a time. So Id be hanging around staring at my car to make sure all the windows go up. Not the way I roll :P
Thanks for all the posts
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2014 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
Sure, add the relay and watch the battery go down even faster.
Why do amateurs always want to complicate things?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2014 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
Provided it's all IGN powered it should be fine.
Of course it's probably better getting a new switch that can be reconfigured, but I'll assume you're stuck with the one you've got.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic