subwoofer has very low output

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tony22msu@yahoo 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2014 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all. I'm new to the forum.
I have a 2011 F150 (with sync). The truck has stock head unit and I'd like to keep it that way to retain features. About a year ago I upgraded all door speakers with Infinity 6829CF 5x7 speakers and added an Alpine KTP-445U 4-channel Power Pack Amplifier. This put around 45 watts rms to each door speaker and was good enough for me.
Last week I decided to add low end to the system. I did not have a large budget so I went with 1 8 inch JBL gto804 subwoofer. I built a .3 cubic foot sealed box and added a rockford prime 250.1 amp. It puts out a little over 150 rms at 4 ohm. The amp was connected using the speaker level imputs (first time using this type of input for me).
The results were terrible. With most songs I can't even tell the sub is on even at max gain. I'm not really sure what my next step should be or where I went wrong. Here are my thoughts:
1) Sub is under powered. It's rated 200 rms. My amp is 150 rms.
2) Speaker level inputs may be incorrectly installed. I soldered to the inputs behind the head unit and ran them into a small speaker I had laying around just to make sure I had the correct wires. The signal was very weak.
3) Factory head unit is killing low end signal with its built in eq. This is my first time sub install with factory head unit. Maybe factory head unit is just that bad?
Please, any advice or input would be appreciated.
tcoates14 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2014 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
If you're using your stock HU did you hookup a LOC pro or SNI50 to grab your signal to plug your RCAs in? If you did make sure you hooked it up to the stock sub that is more than likely inside.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2014 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, question number one: what did you use for signal input to the sub amp?
Support the12volt.com
auto enhancers 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2014 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
not all head units output full range signal and some have very low output. it may be that you are not getting low FQ from the headunit at all. I would suggest using an RTA so you can see what the signal is coming from the headunit. Any quality shop should have one that I am sure they will test your signals. Of course this will not be a free service.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic