icon

relay advice for newby

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
da180 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2014 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
I have basic automotive electrical background, but not in my 2014 Dodge Journey. I am installing a trailer brake controller that needs a brake signal feed from (normally) the brake switch. I cannot do this due to the Can bus.
I have located a wire from the BCM that is normally .20 volts and goes to 13.38 when the brake pedal is depressed. I want to use a relay to activate the signal to my controller. In my reading here I have learned that because of the Can bus it is desirable to have a diode protected relay that in my simple terms prevents a voltage spike back into the Can bus. Correct?
I have found this: http://www.delcity.net/store/Relays-with-Diode/p_73578 during a brief search. Although it does not say exactly, is this the part I can use to accomplish what I described above? Also, is it true that the low .20 volts will not energize the relay coil unexpectedly?
Thanks in advance for reading and any advice.
Dave
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2014 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
I prefer adding my own diode to 'normal' unprotected relays, preferably using 1N4007 else 1N4004 diodes.
But make sure your 13V signal can handle the relay coil (eg, up to 250mA).
There might be alternatives like the brake bulb (if not combined with flasher) or the brake switch itself.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 29, 2014 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
.20 volts will not energize a relay. I too recommend catching it at a bulb.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2014 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
Bulb and use a 1N4004 diode, band towards bulb.
BTW it takes around 7.5 V+ to trigger the average automobile relay.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2014 at 4:56 AM / IP Logged  
I read da180 as saying he has >12V to trigger the relay. IE - the relay is off when the BCM is only 0.2V.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2014 at 5:03 AM / IP Logged  
He did ask " Also, is it true that the low .20 volts will not energize the relay coil unexpectedly"?
So I answered.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2014 at 5:33 AM / IP Logged  
Aha - you're talking about later detail...
I missed that!
My apologies.
But if it did (hold to pull in), a series diode would fix that.
da180 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2014 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
WOW, thank you all for the quick responses.
Re: connect at the bulb, I have two 1157 bulbs in my popup camper tail lights. Since the lights illuminate when the turn signals are on I would imagine there is no way to connect at the bulb for a brake signal. BTW, I wired the car for this before I ran into this problem, ha ha.
Based on your responses, since the relay coil won't energize with only .2v then I would be able to use a single fused 12v source to the relay (#30) and #87 to my brake controller. The wire I found with the 13.3v to #85 on the relay and #86 to ground?
Again, I can use the relay I linked to originally? It is an 85 NEGATIVE as opposed to a 85 POSITIVE. And...does 85 negative mean the diode is preventing a current spike from returning to the Can bus and instead, it is dissipating it when the coil de-energizes?
I quote the description from the website: "This relay has an 85 negative polarity and allows a low current flow circuit to control a high current flow circuit. They are remote control electronic switches that are normally controlled by another switch, computer or control module. The internal diode within this relay protects sensitive equipment against voltage spikes."
Thank you all for your patience.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2014 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
A relay coil is a non-polar coil. However because some relays have inbuilt spike quenching diodes, the convention is that 86 is +ve, 85 is -ve.
You can combine flashers with other functions like stop or reverse, but it requires either repositioning of the flasher can (the flasher switch controls relays that connect the can etc) else time delay circuits - eg, exledusa's TPC v2 or v3.
da180 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2014 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
So...following convention, I attach the 13.3v to #86 and ground #85.
I then would purchase the "85 negative" relay with the diode because the 85 terminal goes to ground.
Because I already had to get a tail light converter for my four wire, I really cannot complicate this more with the exledusa setup.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic