icon

radio on until door open

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
linkarmy09 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2014 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged  

hello have a question regarding my radio on until door open. so im using the diagram

radio on until door open -- posted image.

Everything used to work fine and loved the fact that my radio would stay on until i opened my door.  Now i have just installed an alarm on my car (95 honda accord lx) and what it does is as soon as i turn the car off and proceed to remove the keeys it activates my interior lights making my relays think the door is open so the radio turns off.  Could anyone here suggest a way to isolate this to where the relays only activate when the door is opened regardless of the interior lights? Any help in general would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2014 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
You will need to diode isolate a door trigger/pin switch from the common door trigger/dome light lead, then connect the relay on the door trigger/pin switch side of the diode. The band on the diode will be facing the isolated door trigger/pin switch.
radio on until door open -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
linkarmy09 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2014 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
i believe im understanding but since i am pretty new at this and a quick diagram would really help if possible. im just getting started with the whole electronics and diodes is not something i have used before.
the12volt 
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2014 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
radio on until door open -- posted image.
linkarmy09 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2014 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
thank you so much this would greatly help
the12volt 
Posted: July 14, 2014 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
You're welcome.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2014 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not familiar with Hondas. I don't know if they have dome light relays or not.
If they don't the diode will have to be large enough to carry the entire current of the dome lights. The 'standard' 1 Amp diode that installers use will probably have a short life if it carries more than a trigger current.
The other thing with using just the one door pin switch is that occasionally you won't cancel the RAP if you get out on the passenger side.
I've run into the OP's situation too. Usually in 80's-90's GM's where turning on the dome lights with the dash switch cancels the RAP. Annoying. I use an additional relay to isolate the pin switches from the dome-light circuit. These earlier GM's don't have dome light relays, and dome light circuit current of about 3.5 amps. Using a relay is more reliable.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2014 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
You could also program the alarm for "no dome lights with ignition off".
DEI has had this as a programmable feature for a long time.
linkarmy09 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2014 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  

davep. wrote:
You could also program the alarm for "no dome lights with ignition off".
DEI has had this as a programmable feature for a long time.

i belive i did see this option on my alarm, might just be the easiest will definately will have to look at the manual once again. I have a python 5106 alarm/remote start by the way.

linkarmy09 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2014 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  

Read through the manual and to disable the dome light with ignition off is not an option on my alarm. I was thinking would it not be easier to isolate the door trigger to the realy that keeps the power to the accesories. Not sure if i make myself clear. What i mean is is there a way to make it to where the door switch has two signals isolated from each other (As if there was two separated switches) and have the regular wire to the alarm and run a second to the accessoreis on until door open relay?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic