icon

headlights issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
1995db7 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2014 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
hello everyone,have a question that hopefully someone can help me with..saturday morning i installed a prestige aps997c on my 95 honda civic,everything works so far except i decided to install the headlight option to turn on and off when the alarm is armed and dissarmed which worked great till this morning when i was going to work and my car battery was almost dead i followed this and connected #85 and #30 to a constant 12v, was i wrong?
White w/ Blue Trace Wire: Low Current (-) Ground Headlight Output
The White w/ Blue Trace wire is provided to operate the optional headlamp illumination feature of the
system. This is a low current (300mA) output and must be connected to an external relay to control the
high current switching circuit of the vehicle's headlamps. To use this option, Connect the White /w Blue
Trace wire to terminal # 86 of a P&B VF45F11 relay or equivalent. Connect Terminals #85 and # 30 to a
fused + 12 Volts source with a current capability equal to or in excess of the factory headlamp fuse.
Connect terminal # 87 of the relay to the switched + 12 volt wire feeding the vehicle's headlamp circuit.
Note: For ground switched headlamp circuits, Connect the White /w Blue Trace wire to terminal # 86 of
a P&B VF45F11 relay or equivalent. Connect Terminal #85 to a fused + 12 Volts source. Connect
terminal # 30 to a clean chassis ground. Connect terminal # 87 to the ground switched headlamp
control wire in the vehicle.
Ruben
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2014 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
I take it that your headlights are positive switched so yes pin #30 and #85 to 12v (fused) constant. #87 to your headlight wire (RED / White) and #86 to the WHITE/ blue on the prestige.
If the relay isn't ON when not needed/expected then it's unlikely to be the cause of your battery drain. How is your starter kill wired? Wiring either #85 or #86 to 12v constant and the other side #86 or #85 to ground-when-armed (-) from the alarm is a common mistake that kills batteries easy.
1995db7 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2014 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
catback wrote:
I take it that your headlights are positive switched so yes pin #30 and #85 to 12v (fused) constant. #87 to your headlight wire (RED / White) and #86 to the WHITE/ blue on the prestige.
If the relay isn't ON when not needed/expected then it's unlikely to be the cause of your battery drain. How is your starter kill wired? Wiring either #85 or #86 to 12v constant and the other side #86 or #85 to ground-when-armed (-) from the alarm is a common mistake that kills batteries easy.
thanks on the quick reply,i'm gonna go check the starter again but most likely is hooked up the way you just said,which way should it be wired and thanks again
Ruben
1995db7 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2014 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
so the way i set it up was following the instructions
#87a-from ig
#30 to starter
#86 to orange from alarm
#85 to 12v
Ruben
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2014 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
As per standard the starter kill should be wired:
#85 Ground-when-Armed (-)
#86 Ignition (switched 12v, 12v when key is ON and START)
#87a Key side of starter wire
#30 Vehicle side of starter wire
If more than one device is connected to the ground-when-armed (-) of the alarm then every device should be diode isolated with the band towards the alarm.
1995db7 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2014 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
catback wrote:
If more than one device is connected to the ground-when-armed (-) of the alarm then every device should be diode isolated with the band towards the alarm.
gonna redo it this way and redo the headlights and see what happens,thank you for your help and quick response
Ruben
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2014 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
1995db7 wrote:
catback wrote:
gonna redo it this way and redo the headlights and see what happens,thank you for your help and quick response
Just to be clear, the headlight relay will have 12v (fused) constant running to #86 (#85 in your case) and #30. The starter kill is done differently because the ground-when-armed is active the entire time the alarm is armed.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2014 at 2:57 AM / IP Logged  
And the dead battery would have been avoided if the OP had read my thread on this in the Hot Topics section.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2014 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
And the dead battery would have been avoided if the OP had read my thread on this in the Hot Topics section.
Well your thread didn't come in the installation manual headlights issue -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2014 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
But that's why I ask people to read the archivesheadlights issue -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic