the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

viper 5906v, 2013 wrx sti

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2014 at 5:56 AM / IP Logged  

Running the Clutch Interlock ( and Cruise Control ) wires through the relay's coil ( Pin 86 to 85 ) was also causing the Hill Assist error light... 

You can put that diode to good use by inserting it between Relay Pins 85 to 86 with the band towards Pin 86 like Howard suggested.   This will protect the Viper's (-) Starter Output from the relay's back EMF pulse.  It's called coil quenching.  Here is a nice write-up on relays which includes info on coil quenching diodes :  http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

Did you test to ensure the car can't remote start in any gear? 

Soldering is fun!
jsigna 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2014 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:

Running the Clutch Interlock ( and Cruise Control ) wires through the relay's coil ( Pin 86 to 85 ) was also causing the Hill Assist error light... 

You can put that diode to good use by inserting it between Relay Pins 85 to 86 with the band towards Pin 86 like Howard suggested.   This will protect the Viper's (-) Starter Output from the relay's back EMF pulse.  It's called coil quenching.  Here is a nice write-up on relays which includes info on coil quenching diodes :  http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

Did you test to ensure the car can't remote start in any gear? 

So I put a diode between the - starter wire and 85.. nothing between 85 and 86.. Isn't that good enough because 86 is just a fused 12v constant? Or should I prevent kickback to the 12v constant source as well?
I wired the NSS from my ECU to the Safety Switch wire.. I was going to do the hood pin but the hood pin looks for the reverse activity. When in Neutral the car gives a ground.. When in gear it looses the ground.   It must be vice versa for the hood pin. I like it like this though because if the hood is up it will complain about the hood. If the car is it gear it complains about Safety Switch.
Anyway... car no longer starts without pushing in the clutch during regular starting.. Remote start works perfect. Hill Assist disabled light is off.
I love it. Thank you all so much.
I will read that page as well to learn more on that.
jsigna 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2014 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
Question though.. I wires the shock sensor.. it had a loose green wire and a looped green wire on the other end. After searching online I see it is the Warn Away wire.. Do I need to do anything with that or leave it loose and looped?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2014 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  

Glad to hear it's all working now.  The Viper is a nice system and should provide you many years of trouble

free service.  You have the remote starters clutch bypass working properly if it does not change the normal
key start-up process.

The coil quenching diode across relay pins 85 and 86 is to prevent a coil collapsing voltage spike ( of up to ~

300 volts ) from feeding back into the Viper on the (-) Starter wire and destroying it.  The inline diode you added
will allow a (-) signal from the Viper through to the relay during a remote start and, unfortunately, it will allow a (+)
pulse from the relay back to the Viper.  Thats just the way diodes work.  The chances of a coil collapse spike are
low with just one (-) Starter signal sequence but several repetitive relay energizing pulses in a row will generate a
spike.  It's cheap insurance, but not mandatory.

Soldering is fun!
jsigna 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2014 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm maybe I will just wire it in there.. won't take long (85 to 86)
Any idea about the loose green wire in the shock sensor harness?
jsigna 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2014 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
Also like for my NSS and Break sensor wires.. I did 1 incline diode.. Strip towards the ECU/BCM side (not the RS side)... Is that okay?
I figured it would protect the BCM/ECU from any crap from the R.S
Should I do diodes on the other end?
I am just wondering.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2014 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
Ignore the green wire.
For safety reasons the hood switch is mandatory.
You must separate NSS from hood switch the hood switch is "ground to inhibit" remote start.
NSS is "ground to activate" remote start.
Tie the NSS in with the parking brake, diode separate, bands away from alarm-R/S.
Then if either in gear or parking brake is off it won't start.
jsigna 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2014 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah but if the safety switch on the RS is looking for a ground to start.. and I tie the e brake and NSS together.. even if I use a diode.. if the e break is down and the car is in neutral.. wouldn't the car still start since it has a ground?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2014 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, good point my favourite would be the NSS switch.
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2014 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged  
jsigna wrote:
I figured it would protect the BCM/ECU from any crap from the R.S
Diodes themselves aren't protection devices, it's how they are wired to a relay that gives that ability. Putting them on the brake and NSS sense wires is nice but completely unnecessary as there is no protection being offered by them which is fine because there is no coil in the circuit.
Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic